13 Things I Noticed While Re-Watching '13 Going On 30'

2004, a time where we all wanted to be 30, flirty, and thriving.

2116
Instagram

If you haven't noticed, I've been on a weird nostalgia kick lately when picking movies or TV shows to watch. Yes, I know I should be focusing on my plethora of upcoming tests and projects that will be due soon but that's my problem now, isn't it? This past week I found out that the movie 13 Going on 30 was on Netflix. So, in true "me" fashion I watched it while studying.

This movie came out in 2004, and I have a very fond memory of seeing it with mom after going out to a fancy restaurant, we even snuck in our white chocolate bourbon bread pudding in my mom's purse. Rewatching it at 23, I noticed more details than when I watched it originally at age 9. Here's what I noticed...

1. Some of the Six Chicks are actually famous now.

There aren't a TON of acting jobs for preteen girls out there unless you take the straight-to-Disney route. But take a close look, the girl three in from the right is Ashley Benson of Pretty Little Liars fame. The second from the left is Brittany Curran who might not sound familiar but has had roles on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, ABC Family's Twisted, and more recently in a recurring role on The Magicians. To the far right is Brie Larson who took her b-credits in movies and shows and managed to become an OSCAR WINNER.

Have to start somewhere, right?

2. Jenna somehow knows how to do hair and makeup perfectly at 30, despite being clueless at 13.

When Jenna first wakes up as a 30-year-old after she makes the wish in the closet, she freaks out and runs out of her apartment in her nightgown. It's at work where she learns that there's an important party that night. So in a Whitney Huston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" filled "getting ready" montage, we see her do her hair and makeup.

It was only 25 minutes ago we watched her get ready for her 13th birthday party in which shes's pretty much clueless about hair and makeup. When she's 13, she uses how-to guides from Poise magazine to copy a makeup look and pulls her hair up into a half pony with a scrunchie like TomTom did. But now, at 30 she seems to be an EXPERT at doing hair and makeup.

The makeup she ends up doing is completely modern at the time and so is the hair as both parts of this look are VERY 2004 and nothing like the 80's she came from. I'm just saying if they wanted consistency, she should have come out wearing neon eyeshadow and lipstick and a giant scrunchie.

Also, side note: this is my favorite outfit from the whole film, but I HIGHLY doubt a 30-year-old woman, much less an editor of a fashion magazine would wear this. Stripes, sparkles, AND cutouts? That seems like a 20's clubbing look to me.

3. Apparently, EVERYONE knows the Thriller dance.

When the previously mentioned party loses steam, Jenna takes it upon herself to liven it back up again. She requests Michael Jackson's Thriller and starts doing the dance solo. Earlier in the movie, we see Jenna at 13 practicing the dance moves so, of course, she knows them. But slowly more and more people come and do the dance with her and they do it as if MJ himself, taught them the moves.

I'm not sure about you, but I can do like maybe four parts of the Thriller dance and it's mainly the part where they move their arms from side to side. I've asked my mom about this and she said pretty much no one she knew could do the dance perfectly, and she grew up during the height of its popularity.

I think I saw three people at a high school homecoming do most of it back in 10th grade, which just solidifies my point, this is not the Cha Cha Slide, Macarena, or the Electric Slide. I doubt the whole room knew how to do it.

4. If you watch carefully, the major plot twist can be solved in the first 15 minutes.

The main plots of the movie are Jenna trying to navigate life as a 13-year-old in a 30-year-old's body, her trying to figure out what went wrong with her friendship to Matty, and lastly how to keep the magazine she loves and works at, Poise, from going under.

It's a major part of the movie that Poise is getting ideas stolen from them by Sparkle, their competitor. Throughout the movie, Jenna and the editorial team keep trying to figure out who the rat is. It isn't until the climax of the movie do you realize it was actually pre-transformation Jenna who was stealing the ideas!

If you watch carefully, 15 minutes into the movie you can see Jenna rifling through her mail while she's trying to figure out where she is. Between letters and bills, you can actually see an envelope that says SPARKLE across the top of it that is identical to the stack Lucy finds in Jenna's office later. I can only assume the envelopes contain checks for her dirty work, but we never find out what's inside.

5. No one finds it weird Jenna is friends with 13-year-olds.

I know Jenna has the brain of a 13-year-old, but how is it no one questions her befriending six of them to the point she has them over for a sleepover? You're telling me six moms and/or dads were like:

"Oh, your new 30-year-old friend who's an actual grown woman and you've only known for less than a week wants you to come sleep over at her apartment? There will be lots of other young girls there? You JUST met her? Yeah! Sure, that sounds like a great not-potentially-a-kidnapping-or-weird-perverted-behavior for my daughter to go to!"

Seriously, no one questions it. Plus, when she's at the bar and flirting with the young boy, no one tries to stop her except for Lucy who isn't exactly a true moral compass. Where was that boy's mom or dad? Who leaves a young boy alone in a trendy Upper Manhattan bar that just so happens to serve food? It's really late at night, why are you eating so late?

6. Jenna replaces Brie Larson.

I couldn't find a gif or a picture of the scene where Jenna and Matty look at their yearbook and Jenna learned all of her 13-year-old dreams came true. (Netflix apparently won't let you screenshot either, boo) But if you look closely at the picture of the Six Chicks, Jenna who according to Matty, "became their leader" has replaced Brie Larson as the new Six Chick.

Matty brings up a similar point early in the film when their both young about how they wouldn't let her into the group because there are six girls and the group is called Six Chicks so they wouldn't have a seventh member. But flash forward and Jenna has taken over Brie Larson's spot.

What happened to Brie? Did she move? If Jenna is the new leader, did she do some sort of hostile takeover and Brie just happened to be a casualty? Why did TomTom let Jenna become the leader of the group she created? Literally, nothing about Jenna has changed appearance-wise and she still looks like the nerdy teen she was before in the pictures. But she's in charge now.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN ORDER TO GET THIS POWER DYNAMIC!

7. The coordinating pattern moment.

While they're not an EXACT match, I thought it was really cool that the blindfold Jenna wears in the closet and the eyemask she wears when she wakes up in the next scene are coordinating. In a weird way, the coloration makes sense because 80's Jenna's pattern is bright and bold which is understandable for the 80's and 2000's Jenna's pattern is more muted and toned down which was popular then also, but the colors bear a good resemblance to the blindfold and they both cover her eyes in back to back scenes.

8. Jenna touches her boobs a LOT in the first 30 minutes.

Jenna touches her boobs so much that I have another gif on this list of her doing it in a totally different scene! When Jenna is 13, she's clearly self-conscious about her lack of boobs, so she stuffs her bra for the party. Her parents call her out on it, and she restuffs them again as soon as they leave. In the closet when TomTom tells her Chris goes to second base, she takes the tissues out again. When she becomes 30, she can hardly stop touching them at first!

She also apparently loves telling young girls about her amazing boobs, see #2 for proof. I seriously hope Jenna didn't go around telling everyone she met on her first few days about how great her rack is because that's really, really weird.

9. Jenna's boss is Gollum.

In another case of "where do I know that actor from?" I kept noticing how familiar Jenna's boss, Richard Kneeland (the guy second from the right in the front) looked and sounded. It wasn't until I IMDB'd the movie that I realized Richard is played by Andy Serkis who is a famed character actor known for his roles of Ceaser in The Planet of the Apes movies and Gollum from The Lord of the Rings movies (including the Hobbit).

That's right, the same guy who played GOLLUM in LOTR played the boss in a romantic comedy about time jumping. What a small world.

10. Jenna is so grossed out by her boyfriend.

Okay, I get it. You're 13. But your body is 30. Jenna wakes up to find that not only does she have a boyfriend, which is all she ever wanted at 13, but that Alex is a hot, better version of Chris Grandy (the boy she liked at 13) AND he's a professional hockey player. I understand being a little shocked at first but you mean to tell me her little 13-year-old brain has never been REMOTELY curious about what a man's body looks like?

I'm not saying she should have sex or anything, if she's not ready then she's not ready but you don't have to freak out when he takes his shirt off or even when he tries to kiss you. You wanted to kiss Chris Grandy for months! Just kiss him, geez!

11. The pink house.

When I saw this the first time, I was 9. All I could ever want was to live happily ever after in a pink dream house with whomever I ended up marrying. At 23, I can say with 100% certain that I still want to move into a pink dream house with whomever I end up marrying. I mean, come on, goals. Also, I understand you're moving into your new house, but take your feet off the WHITE COUCH. You have on dirty sneakers that you've been walking through dirt in all day on a white couch that doesn't have moving blankets on the cushions. Think this through.

Still, I would love to eat Razzles with someone in my very own pink dream house.

12. The clothes in general.

Baguette purses? Check. Floral lace up tube tops? Check. Double mini hair buns secured with chopsticks? Double check. I might have dinged 30-year-old Jenna for probably not owning or frequently wearing the psychedelic mini dress with rhinestones and underboob cutouts (seriously, if she owned that thing, it would have been in the BACK of her closet) but the rest of her wardrobe is quintessential early 2000's style.

I myself am wary of trends from the early 2000's coming back because let's be honest, most were hideous. But despite being a 13-year-old, Jenna does an amazing job piecing together outfits that are both appropriate for an office but also stylish enough to be an editor at a fashion magazine. Some might even say a little too good, I for one wore Crocs at 13 but to each their own.

13. Despite the happy ending, I had a lot of questions that needed to be answered.

When Jenna goes back in time to her original 13-year-old body, she bursts out of the closet and kisses Matty. We can assume because they end up getting married, that the two stay together all throughout high school and probably college and that Jenna never rose to popularity and took over the Six Chicks.

That's all fine and dandy, but when they move into their pink dream house, it's clearly in the suburbs and most likely in New Jersey where they grew up. Did Jenna never get her job at Poise? That was her dream job, and while yes, she was a mean girl when she originally got it, it was STILL her dream job. Matty clearly still takes photos, so he still went to school for it like he originally says.

But there are no clues that Jenna ever worked at Poise. Did Jenna follow Matty to whatever school he ended up going to and didn't (I'm assuming) get a Journalism degree? We also never hear about Poise again. Did Lucy in the alternate universe also still go into publishing? Did she only originally go into publishing because alternative Jenna who was her best friend and leader of her clique did?

Did she become such a follower that she followed Jenna to the same college and got a job with her? In the new plotline, if they did work together, would it be weird for Jenna to see her old middle school/ high school bully every day because she never became popular? Did Lucy become the one to steal the ideas? Does she still take over Sparkle?

My dream ending would have it be completely the same, but when they show Jenna hanging up her photos, they put a picture of her job at Poise or she hangs up a degree in her home office or SOMETHING that shows she ever worked there. Maybe a casual pan to an open photo album of Matty's work and there's a picture of Lucy working at Subway or something.

I love this movie, but I want Jenna to get the guy AND the dream job.

While it had some major plot flaws and I had a few questions I wanted to be answered, 13 Going on 30 is a classic early 2000's romantic comedy that gives a lot of laughs and is genuinely good. None of the characters are all that bad (looking at you Parent Trap) and you do get a happy ending after all!

Sleep well 9-year-old Anne, because this movie was NOT spoiled when you re-watched it.