13 Artists That Deserve More Recognition

Far too often, the geniuses of the music industry get ignored and I'm tired of it.

985
FACT Magazine

Seeing as I’ve written a list on the TV shows and movies that deserve more recognition, I thought that it would only be appropriate to compile a similar list about artists. I listen to a wide range of artists and genres of music, anything from pop punk to rap to indie. These artists are either unknown or up and coming, but they’re all so brilliant, and I think that it's about time that someone acknowledges them.

1. Bright Eyes

I will begin this list with one of the most brilliant indie rock bands, lead by Conor Oberst, who has such a beautifully captivating voice. Bright Eyes always leaves me in awe because their music is somehow simultaneously emo and uplifting.

2. The Head and the Heart

Now onto this incredible indie folk band. My favorite song of theirs is “Rivers and Roads”, and they’re currently on tour so, even though I won’t be going, I would encourage everyone to take this chance to witness their beauty.

3. Never Shout Never

Never Shout Never is a band most popular with teen girls who are going through their emo phase, but this shouldn’t cause you to dismiss them. Their sound has evolved over the years from more pop punk to folk and their music honestly just makes me feel good.

4. Kate Nash

Okay so, Kate Nash has made quite a name for herself in the UK, but she hasn’t had her time in the spotlight in America yet, so I’ll include her in this list. I love her voice because you can actually hear her accent and she puts such a comical twist on heartbreak.

5. Jon Bellion

Jon Bellion is a hip-hop/pop artist and while he's admittedly gotten much more popular in the recent months, when my sister first introduced me to him, he was still relatively unknown.

6. Noah and the Whale

Another indie band to add to my list, but I can’t help that indie bands are so brilliant. I would suggest looking up their songs, “5 Years Time” and “Blue Skies” because those are my favorites.

7. Little Mix

I'm going to switch it up a bit with a true powerhouse girl group. They may not be unknown, but they tend to be dismissed because of the audience that they cater to. In reality, they have massive amounts of talent. They can belt out the toughest notes and their songs aren’t shallow pop songs, but have real depth. Don’t underestimate these girls.

8. Kimya Dawson

I don’t know what to say about Kimya Dawson except that she’s so incredibly unique. I’ve never heard a voice like hers and similar to Kate Nash, she puts such a humorous twist on otherwise serious topics.

9. She & Him

She & Him is a musical duo made up of M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel. Yes, the beautiful, doe-eyed girl from Elf and New Girl. Their music is considered to be indie and it has a very soothing, uplifting effect.

10. Gnash

Gnash is an up and coming singer/rapper and I have to give my friend the credit for this one because she introduced me to him. I attended one of his concerts this past October and it was the most intimate concert I’d ever been to, so it was a very memorable experience.

11. Belle and Sebastian

One of my favorite bands ever and another indie band. I found Belle and Sebastian while listening to the soundtrack for the movie Juno. There is so much that I want to say about this band, but in order for you to truly understand their genius and uniqueness, you just have to give them a listen.

12. Iron & Wine

I first heard this indie/folk artist because his song, “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” was on the Twilight soundtrack, but I’ve finally started to pay more attention to him. He has so many amazing songs, but I would suggest “Such Great Heights” and “Naked as We Came.”

13. Frank Hamilton

I saved my all-time favorite artist for last. I stumbled upon Frank Hamilton one day and I instantly fell in love with him. His sound might be considered indie pop and he is the most unknown out of all of the artists on this list. Please go buy his new album, Songs to Make Life Slightly Less Awkward. You won’t regret it.