After 12 Years, He Finally Called

After 12 Years, He Finally Called

I hadn't spoken to my father in 12 years but one day, that all changed.

38
After 12 Years, He Finally Called
I Times

I was just getting back to my dorm from dinner with friends one weeknight when I passed the mailboxes and even though I never get mail ever, I decided to check. I was surprised to find three things addressed to me but I was even more surprised and quite confused to find a letter from Wyoming. On it was my full name that no one calls me, Crystal Rose Corral, and a red stamp that said, "this is a letter from an inmate." It was a letter from my biological dad that I had not heard from in 12 years.

Immediately, I gasped and stared at what was in my hands for probably three minutes when my friends asked what was taking me so long. I had to literally snap myself out of this crazy state of bewilderment. I shoved the letter in my pocket and continued on with my night. I didn't get to read it until everyone had left after four hours. Immediately, I ripped it open and read it as fast as I could. I was so shocked that my father had finally contacted me but had no idea how to react. I sat there for maybe 20 minutes reading it over and over again, each time a little more astonished. Finally, I just sat it on my bedside table and went to bed.

Just to give a little background, I was taken from my biological parents at age 6 and put into the foster care system. Four years later I moved states and was adopted into a wonderful, wealthy family. By this time, my biological father had lost his rights to see me or contact me. This never affected me in the slightest but I always knew I had the option to contact him when I turned 18. But even when I turned 18, finding my father was only a fleeting thought ever so often. I definitely did not expect to spontaneously get a letter from him at my college dorm. Ever since that day, my life has honestly not been the same.

A couple weeks had passed and I had meant to write him back but you know how it goes, college, friends, sleep. There was hardly any time for something I had never prioritized before. Then one night, I'm squished in the backseat of my best friends car between two guys I only kind of know when my phone rings. I'm staring at my phone and a Wyoming phone number is staring back. I am not joking even a little when I tell you that my heart dropped to my a**hole. I don't think I've ever experienced that many thoughts run through my head at once. Do I answer even though I'm with people? If I don't answer, will he just keep calling me? Do I even want to talk to a guy I barely know? As I answered the phone, I cleared my throat and prepared myself for what ended up being one of the wildest phone calls I've ever been a part of. It could only be beat by that one time my high school science teacher drunkenly butt dialed me.

After what seemed like hours, I hung up with a sigh of relief. Not because I was happy it was over but rather because I was happy it had happened at all. He was just ecstatic to finally contact me and I could honestly say the same. He updated me about his life and what had occurred in the 12 years he'd been absent. Apparently, I had two sisters in Montana that really wanted to meet me and he had been in contact with my biological brothers. All of this was news to me but I was just baffled that this was really happening. The entire call was quite the shock but I don't regret answering the phone even a little.

Now, he and I have scheduled calls every Friday to "just sit and bullshit" as he says. I'm getting answers to questions I didn't even know I had and he's filling me in on bits of my childhood I never thought I'd get back. I honestly still have no idea what to think of the situation but I don't expect to for quite awhile and he doesn't expect it either. Maybe someday we'll meet. Maybe we'll even become besties. For now, the Friday calls are a little bridge connecting me to my past. It's hard to remember that the people who adopted me are not my biological parents but it's even harder to let my past creep into my everyday life. My life has completely changed but absolutely for the better. Life is full of challenges they say but life has given me more than enough. I think I got this one under control.