12 Things To Do In Wichita, Kansas This Summer

This city has so much more to offer than you might think.

76
Eric Leeker

As someone who was born and raised here in Wichita, Kansas, I've spent my summers coming up with ways to not just stay busy, but to enjoy my city. Some people will try to say that there's nothing to do around here in the summer, but to quote Logan Bush of local band Kill Vargas, "Just because you get bored in a town does not make the town boring. There are hard working artists, photographers, musicians, bloggers, clothing lines, local businesses, festivals, and much more making ICT one of the most interesting places around. All you have to do is pay attention." So, here are 12 examples of things to do in Wichita this summer.

1. Go to Riverfest

If you ask a Wichita native the first thing that comes to mind when they think of summer in the ICT, they'll tell you all about Riverfest. If you've never been, this is a week-long festival filled with music, competition, games, and local vendors. During the day, you can get your fill of festival food from local food trucks and even zipline across the Arkansas River. However, at night, the real fun begins. Each night, a different lineup of bands and musicians takes the stage, drawing huge crowds for these outdoor performances. This year, performers include Flaming Lips, Foxygen, and (my personal favorite) OK GO, along with many more.

2. Explore Downtown

If you keep to the suburbs, you really haven't seen the real Wichita. Downtown and Old Town are filled with hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Mead's Corner and The Donut Whole are practically landmarks for those looking for a good time on a weekend night. Plus, local clothing stores and novelty shops like Lucinda's will keep you occupied for hours.

3. Get into the Local Music Scene

If you've never been to a concert at little venues like The Donut Whole or Mead's, you're missing out. For many of these concerts, there is no charge, no age restrictions, and no reason not to go. You get to hear good music while supporting your local musicians. It's a win-win. So next time you're thinking about how bored you are on a Friday night, keep in mind that these concerts happen virtually every week. All you have to do is look.

4. Take a Walk by the River

Most Wichitans have taken the obligatory pictures next to the Keeper of the Plains, on the Arkansas River. The whole area is beautifully picturesque, perfect for that sunset shot of the giant Keeper statue. However, walking the paths around the River will allow you to discover small parks and monuments that you may have otherwise missed. Walking these paths is great exercise for a sunny summer day, and every step will pique your interest.

5. Use Pokemon Go

Is that still a thing? Maybe I'm one of the few that still uses it, but I've found that it's a great way to explore the city. For example, last year, parts of town that were previously avoided at night actually became much safer with the influx of people walking around to catch Pokemon. Places that no one would dare to go after dark were then easily explored. That being said, you should still take all proper precautions if you plan to do this at night.

6. Eat Local

There are so many amazing local restaurants that have made the ICT the city it is today. The Old Mill Tasty Shop has some of the best diner food you'll ever eat. Located along Douglas in Old Town, it is definitely a landmark that's here to stay. The Riverside Cafe and Doo Dah Diner also hold a strong presence in town, and their food will tell you why. Wichita is filled with an abundance of good local food, with new restaurants opening practically every week.

7. Visit the Great Plains Nature Center

If you haven't been there already, start considering it now. The Nature Center is a great place to not only learn about prairie flora and fauna, but it also allows visitors to get up close and personal with nature. As someone who's been visiting since I was young, I know the trails like the back of my hand. There is so much to see along the paths, and even more if you take the unmarked deer trails. If you love nature or wildlife, this is the place for you.

8. Check Out the Museums

There is actually a surprising number of museums tucked away within the ICT. Personally, my favorite is the Museum of World Treasures in Old Town. However, the Wichita Art Museum, Kansas Aviation Museum, and Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum are all full of interesting information. But be warned, you could be at any one of these for a couple hours. I know I've personally spent at least that much time at each.

9. Visit the Exploration Place

I know this could technically count as a museum, but it's such a huge part of what makes Wichita fun that I gave it its own separate category. There's really no good way to explain the Exploration Place to people who have never been there, except to say that it's not just for kids, and if you visit, you will not be disappointed. Exhibits range from a machine that makes tornadoes to flight simulators to an IMAX theater. Traveling exhibits also pass through, adding to the excitement. All exhibits are interactive and will have you occupied for the entire day.

10. Go for a Swim

The best place to swim in the Wichita area is definitely Rock River Rapids. Okay, so technically it's in Derby, but that's only a short 20 minute drive down Rock Road. With five slides, a diving pool, a lap pool, a lazy river, and much more, this place is perfect for everything from training for a swim meet, to just cooling off and having some fun with friends. However, if water parks aren't your thing, College Hill has a nice little swimming pool that's open to the public.

11. Drive through the Countryside

The thing about Wichita is that if you drive for about ten minutes around any given edge of the city, you will run into at least a few quaint little countryside towns. I used to go for drives in the summer all the time, just driving down Rock until I hit Mulvane. The green countryside looks like something out of a movie when the summer sun hits it just right. It's perfect for just relaxing on a lazy summer day.

12. Catch a Movie at the Warren

Any true Wichitan will know that we currently do not have any AMC theaters in town. All were driven out of business by the success of the local Warren franchise. And if you catch a movie there, it's easy to see why. The entire building has the atmosphere of a '20s or '30s style theater, with high vaulted ceilings, gold furnishings, and intricate murals painted throughout the building. For a first-time visitor, it outshines all expectations and sets a new standard for other theaters. For locals, it's a nice place to meet up with friends on a Friday night for a movie and maybe some arcade air hockey.