12 Tips To Succeed As A Southern Connecticut Owl

The skills you learn will help you excel in the rest of your classes.

188
Southern Connecticut State University

Almost every college student is afraid that they will not have a successful college semester, let alone a successful college career. Even for the most prepared and diligent students, college can be a bit of a challenge. While there is no standardized formula to help you get through college, I can provide a few helpful tips for being academically, socially, and professionally successful in a college class.

1. Maintain good attendance

Teachers pay attention to students and how involved they are throughout the semester. These teachers will be the same people you will go to for recommendation letters. You can’t expect them to give you a recommendation if you’ve never even stepped foot in their classes. Some of the most important things in college is about networking and making connections. Most students overlook the humongous network of available resources colleges have and go through the semester on the bare minimum — attending classes alone. Make it a habit to frequent the campus libraries, tutoring and writing centers, computer labs and career centers for free, helpful information.

2. Visit your academic advisor regularly

Make it a routine to meet with your advisor early and often and seek their opinion on which classes to take each semester and and how to meet your academic goals. Register as early as possible for your classes — they fill quickly, and you don't want to pile on classes before you graduate. Your advisor can guide you to the best campus resources, inform you of important deadlines, familiarize you with college policies and procedures, and keep you up-to-date with campus events and organizations that could benefit you.

3. Stay connected

Create a student body account and check it regularly— this is your main source of important information. You should pay attention to the student handbook and visit the school website to ensure you don't miss anything. Important dates, deadlines and information are always posted there. Connect with other students in each of your classes and exchange numbers. This can assist you in joining study groups, clarifying information, or catching up after missing a class.

4. Maintain balance

Missing out on even a couple of classes can set you back a month or more, so you will benefit a good deal from spending your time in a sustainable way. When planning out your week, make sure you set aside enough time each day for studying, socializing, extracurricular commitments and taking care of yourself to make sure your brain is rested and alert.

5. Set reasonable goals

Try to set achievable and measurable goals each semester. This will keep you motivated, acting as a record of the progress you’ve made as well as helping you push yourself to continue setting achieving goals. Don't overwhelm yourself with long-term goals, but do plan ahead and think about how you see yourself in the future, both personally and professionally.

6. Be organized

Hold on to the syllabi that are given to you at the start of the semester, as they cover course expectations, assignments, due dates, grading and other class policies, as well as professor’s contact information and office hours. Gather these into an organizer on your computer or phone. Add homework assignments, too, as they are given.

7. Take and review notes

Notes taken in class are not supposed to lie forgotten on your desk. They are your single most useful tool in figuring out the pattern of the teaching of every professor, which, in turn, will give crucial information about exam formats, essay questions, and extra credit assignments. Reviewing notes helps you retain up to 80% of the material without any additional research.

8. Work on problem-solving skills

Courses such as math, physics, chemistry, and statistics require good analytical skills, so be sure to spend time at home working on problems. When you get stuck on a problem, seek help quickly to make sure you understand what is being asked.

9. Develop regular study time

Consistency is key in maintaining a good study routine that will maximize your term results. Typically, the rule is to factor in two hours of study time for every hour you spend in class, allowing the material to sink in thoroughly. This also helps you develop discipline and structure your day in the most efficient way possible.

10. Perfect your study techniques

Even successful students often need to revise their studying styles when they get to college. Ideally, you want to find a specific system that works for you, but develop an approach that leads to the establishment of a routine. Consider joining a study group — peer pressure can be a great way to motivate oneself to get things done. Some colleges offer courses that can help you discover your learning style and build solid study habits — talk to your academic advisor for suggestions.

11. Reward yourself

Motivation is the single most powerful catalyst for positive change, so be sure to take advantage of that. Every goal — small or big — you manage to complete should be marked in a way you see fit. Incentives are the ideal way to keep our focus on the end goal and work towards achieving it.

12. Strengthen your writing skills

Writing is an essential part of the college experience, and you can only benefit from working to perfect yours. Enrolling In an introductory composition course is a good idea for any student, especially those who feel they struggle to express themselves in writing. The skills you learn will help you excel in the rest of your classes, and being a strong writer will help you throughout your academic and professional career. Utilize the Academic Success Center in Buley Library to get tutoring and feedback on essays.

The bottom line is that, in college, you’ll learn a lot more than you would’ve expected, even though sometimes what you learn won’t be reflected in any of the grades you receive.

It is imperative that you remember that even though your professors and peers are proven to be a great support system, it is ultimately your knowledge and abilities that will be tested.