12 Tips for First Semester College Students

College is a whole different world

255

College is a whole different world. Many people do not realize the amount of work it requires until they are thrown into the middle of it. College is a time where it is okay to have fun, but it is also really important to focus on your schoolwork. This is a list of some things I wish I was told before going into my first semester of college. I am telling these to you now so you don’t have to learn them the hard way like I did.

1. Have a schedule outlined when you meet with your advisor

When I met with my advisor to schedule classes for my second semester, I had no idea that I was supposed to have classes picked out that I wanted to take. I went into her office and she ended up making my whole schedule for me. Luckily, my advisor was really nice and understood that I was a freshman and didn’t really know how it all worked, but I wish someone had told me prior to look at what classes I needed to take and have some classes written down.

2. Make yourself known to your professors

These are going to be some of your most important resources in college. They are going to lead you in the right direction not only during your college years but afterward too. They can open up so many doors and opportunities for you. Don’t sit in the back during class and be the one who sleeps half of the time. Make sure your professors know who you are.

3. Get involved

I know this has probably been told to you countless times, but it is such an important thing to do. You meet friends with the same interests as you and you feel like you are really part of the college.

4. Your bed may be comfortable, but go to the library to study

I found myself studying in my bed a lot my first semester. This is okay to do every once in a while, but try to go to the library or another quiet place on campus to study or do your homework. Dorms can have many distractions at any time. Being in a library helped me to focus more on my books because I was in a working environment. Also, being in my bed just made me want to take a nap.

5. Stay organized

This will really just make your whole life easier and less scatterbrained.

6. Invest in a planner

Do not rely on your brain to memorize all of the due dates. You are bound to forget something. Planners saved my life between all of the assignments within my classes.

7. Go to class

Seriously. Don’t skip unless you are physically unable to get out of bed. Even if you know you are not doing anything super important that day, your professor might just say something that is worth 10 points on the next test. It is good to show up to show your professor that you are serious about their class.

8. Don't be afraid to meet with a tutor

So many people do it. College is not like high school in the sense that if you need a tutor, you must not be intelligent. College students have a much different mindset. It is actually awesome if you recognize your need for help and reach out to get it. It will only benefit you in the long run.

9. Make connections with other students

These connections are just as important as the ones with your professors. You never know when you are going to need to miss a class and get the notes. You also never know if this person will lead your career opportunities in the future.

10. Don’t procrastinate

This is the worst thing you can do. Procrastination just leads to stress, which makes you fall behind even more. I can’t stress how important it is to keep up with your work. Look at your syllabus and if you can get ahead, do it.

11. Be careful with your money

I know it is all about fun now, but in just a few short years, those student loans are going to start coming in full force. Saving money now will teach you a valuable lesson for your future. Plus, if you can start paying back some of your loans now, even if it is just a little bit, this will help with your debt after college.

12. It’s okay to be overwhelmed

I promise you that every college student experiences it. College is a lot of hard work, but just think of how this is setting you up for a great future. Remember that college is only temporary, so enjoy it and work hard while you are there.