11 Things You'll Hear As A Pre-Med Student That Will Drive You Crazy

Being a Pre-Med is difficult.
198

You think being a pre med would be like on medical shows like Grey's Anatomy and all the fun of doing surgeries and check ups, but what they don't show you is the life before being a doctor.

Any college major is hard and you have to work hard for it, but from my perspective, Pre-Med is difficult. I have always wanted to go into the medical field, so I knew that it would be difficult. But, everyone else likes to add their opinions and comments on my career decisions. I have heard too many things about being a pre med when I first made my decision and it drove me completely nuts.

Here are 11 things that you'll probably end up hearing as a Pre Med student that will drive you crazy.

1. "Pre-Med? Really? You think you can do that?"

Yes really Pre-Med. I believe that I can do it. I grew up in a society where people will gossip about every little decision you made in life, whether it be as simple as buying a shirt or choosing a career. So no matter what, people are going to talk, whether is good or bad.

2. "Isn't like Pre-Med hard?"

Yes it is. But everything you want in life, you have to work hard for. I have wanted to be a doctor for a very long time and just because it's hard, doesn't mean I'm going to give up on something I have always wanted.

3. "Is it because of Greys?"

Actually no. I didn't even know about Grey's Anatomy when I made my decision on my Pre-Med major. And, as much as I would love my life to be like Grey's, there is a thing called reality.

4."Are you forced to do this?"

No, not really. I have always been interested in the medical field and I have been exposed to more medical side of things so it interests me. My parents have told me to go to college and get an education. Going into the medical field was my decision.

5." You know that you have to have good grades, right?"

Yes, I know that I have to have good grades but I also have to volunteer, job shadows, the MCAT, letters of reccoommendation, and I have to network with people in the same field as me. Getting good grades is stressing me out as much as everything else.

6. "What are you going to do if you don't get into medical school?"

I have always wanted to get into the medical field and be a doctor of some sort as a child, so I honeslty don't know and the fact that you just asked me that is really stressing me out. Seriously, everyday and night that is the one thing that stresses me out.

7. "Do you have a back up plan?"

Again, I haven't thought about any back up plans, please stop asking questions that I don't have the answer to.

8. "Are you doing it for the money?"

Well, if I was getting a career for the money, then I would not go into something that would put me in hundreds of thousands of dollars in loan debt. I am doing it for myself and because I want to help people become healthier.

9. "You do know that's like a lot of years of school, right?"

Really? That thought hadn't occurred to me. It is a lot of years of schooling, but in the end it's so worth it. I'll finally be able to become what I have always wanted and will have achieved my goals. It's worth it.

10. "What about getting married and starting a family?"

In my honest opinion, I have no interest in getting married and starting a family at a young age. Plus, it'll get in the way of my career and I would have to sacrifice something that I have worked so hard for. I'll get married when I find the right guy and when I have started my career.

11. "What about your social life and friends?"

Everything has to be balanced. So yes, there are going to be times where I will have to cancel on plans because of school or work, but I will make an effort to be with friends and have a social life and have fun once in a while. Yes I will have to make sacrifices and yes I will have to stay in and study or work, but if you have good people in your life, they will understand. Friends are supposed to be your support system and will understand that you can't do everything all the time. Making time for your friends and family is important and so is having fun, but so is studying. Everything in life should be balanced, but remember to make time for yourself and relax.