12 Things Waitresses Know To Be True, As Told By '2 Broke Girls'

The free/discounted food and the money are not the only "perks"...

166
IGN.com

Being a waitress builds up some love/hate relationships. It's great to make some cash money, and it's fun serving food to people. However, the constant checking the clock and the inconsiderate customers you're waiting on can get a little irritating. I came up with the idea of this article while waitressing, and I thought of so many concepts I'm sure every server can relate to. There are a thousand things I could probably mention and list here, but I decided on 12 that were easily recognizable.

1. When you look at your phone, it's 8am. When you look again a half hour later, it's only 8:05am.

Fine does not mean fine in this case. The restaurant isn't busy at 8am, and you currently don't have any guests taking up space in your section. Your phone is the only solution to solve your boredom struggle.

2. Add-on orders annoy the hell out of you.

Why? Why must someone order a soda after you've already given that table their drinks? Why must they ask for an extra side of potatoes or another plate of pancakes? The kitchen hates it and so do we. But it happens, ya know?

3. There are customers who just have the nerve to treat you like trash.

As a server, we have to keep our composure. We have to take all negative treatment, no matter how bad it is. But every once in a while, you cave, and it's okay. I know... people are super needy, annoying, and the occasional rude. You just have to remember that people suck and you have to do your best to get the best.

4. Sometimes, the cook blames you for his mistakes, especially when it's busy.

This can happen at the worst times. You have 6 tables taken in your section, one of which is reserved by a family of 10 with 5 little kids, impatient for their food. You're annoyed, sweaty, tired, bitter and relentless. And then the kitchen somehow lost your slip or gives you the wrong special. Oh, hell no!

5. Customers don't care what time the restaurant closes.

Let me sum it up for you... we close when we close, and you must obey to that. We try to push them out after closing, but it all depends. The best is when outside customers try their hardest to make their way in after closing time. Nope! Hasta la bye bye!

6. Cleaning your station sucks, but it lets you know you're almost done for the day.

Sugar bowls, salts and peppers, sweeping and mopping... all fun things, right? Not really. But this gets you to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Tables are clearing, and the restaurant is slowly shutting down. Cleaning your section only means you're that much closer to tipping out and leaving.

7. Your salary is really just your tips, so you have to be on top of your game from start to finish.

Your behavior and your job is based on whether you make money or not. So again, no matter how irritating the customers are, you must stay on top and you must never stray. Do not get distracted, because the littlest things can just push you off the track. Plus, you need to save your money and use it for important things, so you need to focus. Am I right?

8. Sometimes, you get hit on.

You'll find numbers and Instagram usernames on napkins. It has happened to me a couple times. And then they'll come back in to eat, and they'll request to sit in your section. And they'll flirt and be all up in your space. Just do your job; that's all that matters!

9. When you drop a check on one of your tables and they give you a humongous tip...

This is the best feeling. You worked your ass off for this and you're rewarded. Hard work does pay off! A thousand stacks of pancakes later and $30 is just chillin' in your apron. On to the next one!

10. When you're so stressed and overwhelmed, you want to cry but you don't.

You have 5 needy tables. Your hair is a mess. Your co-workers are yelling at you because you stole their food by mistake. You just take a deep breath and simply talk yourself out of crying, because it's true: waitressing makes you tough.

11. Your legs get tired and your patience wears thin real quick.

You've been running around for 6 hours straight, you're tired, and you just want to go home. People are mean. You are truly "dead inside", and not to mention super hungry, too.

12. Every shift is worth it in the end.

Money, money, money! You deserve to jump around and be happy! There is always a good outcome after every shift. Although there are haters and shamers out there who diss on waitressing, it's actually a great job to have.