12 Things I'm Thankful For As A HSU Student

Green, gold and grateful.

300
Jessica Larson

As a Humboldt State student, there were times when I questioned my choice to attend the farthest North CSU. However, most of the time I find myself thankful for what experiences and challenges I experience at Humboldt.

Of course, what I am thankful for is not always true or the norm for most people. While there are kind strangers, there are people who just suck. At lot goes wrong, the salary of certain individuals is outrageous for a school system, CAPS is always full and there's not always a lot to do.

But I'm being thankful right now and the truth is there is a lot of positives to attending Humboldt State. While college is always challenging I truly believe it gets better each year.

Here are just a few of the reasons why I'm thankful for attending HSU.

1. Most people on campus tend to be super friendly

Most of the time, if I smile at a stranger they smile back. In fact, most of the time they are already smiling at me first.

By attending HSU, I have encountered a lot of wonderful people. Thanks for the lessons, laughs and love.

2. It really is a beautiful place

It's not just a filter: The forests are a gorgeous place filled with soft green ferns, towering redwoods and hidden mushrooms. The sunsets are breathtaking. There is a lot of wildlife.

3. The Diversity and Common Ground Classes

Through the Diversity and Common Ground classes, I have learned a lot about parts of history ignored from the lessons taught in high school and about other peoples' perspectives and realities.

Given the recent election, I wish more people took these classes.

4. Art is Loved

From Art's Alive, the numerous galleries and the decked out hallway in one of the art buildings, it's clear that Humboldt has an appreciation for the arts.

5. There's no traffic

With the exception of certain times of day or graduation, there is pretty much no traffic problems.

Parking on the other hand...

6. Sustainability is a serious topic and nature is valued

As a business major, I appreciate my professors teaching the importance of the triple bottom line. There's also the students lead initiatives for change, like the hydration stations and Meatless Mondays.

7. My professors are great

Throughout the years, I've encountered incredible professors who are inspiring, challenging and are advocates for students.

8. The passionate students

Sometimes students have too much pressure on their shoulders, especially when it comes to creating change on campus.

However, Humboldt State is filled with students who want to help make the world a better place in some way.

9. Amazing staff

Perhaps I just lucked out when it came to working on campus, but there are some very caring individuals (both professional and student staff) who work at Humboldt State. They truly want the best for students and work around the clock to do so. And sometimes, their work goes without public recognition.

10. Campus Events

This year I saw Kathy Griffin perform on stage, laughed myself silly at the Funny or Die: Jokes for Votes tour, checked out Humboldt State Downtown and more.

As a bonus, there's often pizza at programs.

11. The beach is close by

Granted, I don't go to the beach as often as I should, but it's a relief knowing it's just a short drive away to a gorgeous empty beach.

12. Personal Change

As I mentioned before, attending Humboldt State has changed me. I'm thankful for the experiences and know I will always be impacted by the choice to live in the tiny town surrounded by redwoods.

What are you thankful for?