12 Things I Learned Before Turning 20

12 Things I Learned Before Turning 20

20
12 Things I Learned Before Turning 20

It feels the older I get the faster time flies. Now I'm starting to understand why people say life flies by in the blink of an eye. Twenty is an odd age because you feel like you have learned so much, but you also know there is so much left to learn. Here are some of the important things I have learned in my 20 years of life.

1. As the Rolling Stones once said, "You can't always get what you want."

You may get rejected a lot. You may have to give up something to get another. But that's life.

2. You're 20 years old, you do not have to be the same weight you were when you were 14.

This is so important because so many girls are insecure with there bodies changing, but please, please remember how important and normal growth is.

3. Eating healthy is important, but one milkshake won't kill you.

As long as you remember to keep a balanced diet, one cheat day will not throw you completely off track.

4. You can't be the best at everything.

There will always be someone better, so stop comparing yourself to others.

5. People will disappoint you.

People are selfish, it's a fact of life. Stop relying on others so much and stop expecting so much from people. Just because you would do something for them doesn't mean they would do that for you. Always assume the worst in people.

6. You won't know until you ask.

You may never get something simply because you were too afraid to ask. Take a risk, the worst that can happen is that the other person will say no. You always regret the things you didn't do.

7. You can't please everyone.

Someone, somewhere will disagree with you. It's inevitable.

8. At the end of the day you only have yourself.

People will stab you in the back when you least expect it, so make sure you always have your own back. You need to believe in yourself more and trust your instincts. If you saw yourself the way others see you I bet you would have a lot more confidence.

9. It's important to pursue a career in something that overlaps passion, skill, and payoff.

This has got to be the best piece of advice my academic advisor has ever given me. It made me realize that I was following the right path all along and it was the opinions of others that was causing so much confusion.

10. If someone wants to see you they will make the time to see you.

He's Just Not That Into You applied this concept to relationships, but it goes for friendships as well. If someone doesn't make an effort they probably don't care. Don't try to rebuild something if the other person isn't willing to make an effort as well. Relationships of any kind should never be one sided.

11. Things happen for a reason.

Sometimes the reason things didn't work out is because something better was meant to happen.

12. Your mental health needs to be a priority in your life.

You are good enough. Please remember to make sure that you are alright. Your mental health is just as important as anything else in your life. The stigma that surrounds it is overrated. Everyone has issues, it's important to make sure you try to keep yours under control.