12 Things For All Transfer Students To Know

12 Things Every College Student Should Know When Starting At A New School

1. It's your first year at a new school.

12

SEE ALSO: Advice for College Freshmen

College is supposed to be a time that helps you figure out what you want to do or how you want to grow. In some cases, you will figure out that the school you initially chose isn't the fit you expected it to be. That's okay because you are learning from the choices you have made and willing to adjust on the fly. As a result, you may choose to transfer colleges and get a fresh start. If you choose to transfer, you have to understand that the 12 things below are some of the many things that will apply when you are transferring.

1. It's your first year at a new school

Regardless of whether you transferred after a semester, or three years, it's your first year at the new school so you have to familiarize yourself with your new environment, know where buildings are, and know how things work, such as the bus system, or parking, or where to eat.

2. You might have to retake some classes

This is a tough one because not every class you take will apply to the new school, or new degree program you are pursuing. You can't let this deter you though, because...

3. You can't get complacent

You still have to challenge yourself at your new school, and since it's a change of scenery, feel free to explore it.

4. You will likely attend orientation again

As described at the outset, this will help you get acclimated to your new school.

5. You will make new friends

You probably don't know anybody that is at your new school, so go out and make some friends.

6. You have a new school fight song

You'll learn it when getting acclimated to the new school.

7. You won't necessarily live in a dorm

Some people aren't automatically given housing when transferring to a new school.

8. You might realize that you have new passions

It happens.

9. You will miss your old school

It's not the same environment anymore, even if it's the same level of coursework.

10. You might have to spend more money

Your new school might cost more to attend.

11. You may need to take on more engagements to make ends meet

This follows #10, since you might need to work more jobs to be able to cover tuition and payments.

12. You still have people supporting you

You don't have to feel alone on a new campus because resources are there.

These are 12 of the many things that will happen when you transfer schools, but you will still endure your fair share of trials, tribulations, and successes. You have to have the same approach as though you're a freshman again, and you will have highs and lows, but you will always have a university-based support system that wants to help you succeed and be happy at your new university.