12 Things No One Tells You About Senior Year

The greatest year of your high school career.

317
Maddie Grouzard

Senior year has lived up to all the hype of being the best year of high school yet- don’t get me wrong. The typical blow-off classes, excitement of choosing a college and carefree senior lifestyle have far exceeded all of my expectations of what this year was going to be like. I wouldn't change my senior year of high school for anything. As a matter of fact, I would give just about anything to be able to relive it. However, over the course of the past nine months I’ve noticed twelve things than go unsaid.

1. It’s more stressful than junior year.

Yeah, junior year was busy with extra curricular activities to build the college resume, and the pressure was on to excel at standardized testing and make the grade. But, the weight of crafting the perfect application, writing the scholarship essay that stands out, and deciding where you’re going to start the next chapter of your life is far heavier.

2. And on top of applications, your senior grades still matter.

Are you on the borderline of the acceptance standards at your dream school? Does the sorority you want to rush have a GPA requirement? Has a school asked for your seventh semester transcript? They still have to be kept up- you never know who’s watching and what they’re expecting.

3. You’re expected to have a career plan, yet you still have to ask to go to the bathroom during class.

Suddenly, the future is now, and although you’re not enough of an adult to leave the classroom without asking, you have to have an idea of what you plan to do with your life and how you’re going to swim out of the seas of student debt post-college.

4. As you are making these life-sculpting decisions, the spotlight is on you.

Suddenly, you’re the center of attention at family gatherings, the point of conversation at Mom’s wine night with the girls, and the newfound interest of long lost family friends who you forgot even existed. Where do you want to go to school? What do you want to major in? What do you want to be when you grow up? What’s the meaning of life? Before you know it, you’re on panel to answer the questions you don’t even know the answers to yet yourself.

5. In the meantime, you’re the most carefree you’ve ever been in your high school career.

As things start to come full circle and you realize you don’t ever have to look back after graduation, the consequences of any stupid decision seem less significant and as the year goes on probably won’t even cross your mind.

6. Every day you care less and less about how you look.

Roll out of bed as late as possible, throw on whatever feels comfiest, and stroll out the door. Who cares about looking the part? These people already know you any way, how you look doesn’t matter.

7. You’re suddenly friends with everyone.

With such little time left, everyone is friends with everyone. There isn’t time for drama, cliques, or exclusion. Everyone’s too busy making the most out of senior year.

8. You finally understand the saying, “Time Flies”.

It feels like not too long ago you were the tiny freshman asking for directions to a class. It seems like just yesterday was the first time you were asked to a school dance. Now you’re searching for roommates and deciding what you want to do with your life. Where has the time gone?

9. Everything becomes a ‘last’, no matter how small it may be.

The last picture day, final, gym class, whatever it may be, finds a special place in your heart. The last football game, homecoming dance, and pep rally is here and you quickly become nostalgic over all the experiences you took for granted as a freshman, sophomore, and junior, knowing high school only happens once.

10. Your excuse for anything is just plain and simple. Seniors.

Don’t want to go to class? Seniors. Forgot a calculator on the day of your math final? Whatever, seniors. Why didn’t you do your homework? I’m a senior. The simple title seems to excuse you from any and all complications that could get in the way of your care-free senior year.

11. You’re the most school spirited you’ve ever been.

Realizing your time has almost come to an end, you jump to your feet to get involved and take advantage of everything you skipped out on over the past three years. You have come to love and appreciate your school more than ever. You’ve become the screaming, face-painted senior who once looked down on your freshman-self, shaming your lack of school spirit.

12. And you have major FOMO.

All of these ‘lasts’ make you super sentimental- and super jealous of the juniors who have yet to experience the best year of your life so far.