Reasons Why I Don't Fit With My Generation

Reasons Why You Don't Fit Into Your Generation

For those who have always felt a little out of place.

20057
puzzle pieces representing not fitting in this generation

Throughout my entire young adult life, I have never truly felt like I could connect with most people my age. Parents and teachers have said things like: "you're such an old soul" or "you're wise beyond your years," and all I know is that I don't seem to fit into my generation. Recently, there has been a lot of controversy as to whether or not my generation is lazy and unappreciative. While I do not think this is totally true, I do have a problem with the way many people my age present themselves in society. This being said, I am not sure if I am more upset with my generation or the group of people I have been forced to be associated with during this time of adolescence; for if things change when we enter the next phase of life, I might feel differently about "my generation".

But I am currently stuck in a vortex that invites people who are always busy with something and don't take the time to appreciate the little things. People who take the easy way out and don't know how to open up and communicate effectively. People who are obsessed with being "young and wild and free" with no regard to the consequences of their choices. People who are so stuck in their beliefs that they refuse to admit when they're wrong. People who choose to be kind to a select few, leaving others to wonder why they are not worthy of your time. With every sparkle of pixie dust I can find and with every feather in my sensitive soul, I try really hard to not be one of these people. And the following reasons explain why:

1. You prefer talking to older people rather than people your own age.

You're a people pleaser and always find it satisfying when older people, especially parents, like you. Also the content of the conversation is always more meaningful.

2. Your core is crafted out of handwork and effort.

You have been raised to persevere and see things through; you don't take the easy way out. Even if you fail or things don't happen the way you hoped they would, you feel better knowing you did everything you can to try and make it happen.

3. You still believe in chivalry and romance.

There will never be a day where you don't.

4. You don't need to party to have fun.

You don't see the point in losing control of your mind and body which can easily lead to potentially dangerous situations. Watching the sunset and having a movie marathon with some friends sounds good to me.

5. You have very few "go-to" people in your life.

You have discovered the concept of: quality over quantity. You've never had a million friends because you're perfectly content with the few people you know will always have your back. Even thought I'm in college, I'm lucky that my go-to person back home lives 30 seconds away from me. Missing you, Aidan.

6. You always see the other side of things.

You involuntarily do this because you naturally see the pros and cons of everything in life. You might lean closer to one side but you can always understand the other perspective. You would be surprised how many people do not know how to (or choose not to) do this.

7. You forgive easily and try to make things work.

You don't understand couples that always break up and make up, or the friendships that end over silly things. Life is short and 99% of the time, it is always worth it to forgive and move on.

8. Your conscience is your best friend.

You literally do not make any decisions in life without thinking it all the way through, considering everything that could happen as a result of your actions. Sometimes you might wish you could be a little more spontaneous but at least you know you're making good choices!

9. You like to spend time alone.

It's always a healthy choice to spend a little time alone. You like yourself, right? Yeah, me too.

10. You don't obsess over your eyebrows.

You will just never understand.

11. You like conversations that dig down deep.

Nothing is better than being able to learn all about someone's hopes, dreams, and thoughts about the universe.

12. You are kind to strangers.

Genuinely nice people are friendly at all times. My mama taught me that you'll never know what happens in a person's life behind closed doors. Showing kindness to a stranger can make all the difference.