12 Signs You're A Suburban Born Country Girl

Trying to crack open a beer with your fresh manicure is always a hassle.

571
Rugged Life

Growing in a nice suburban neighborhood just never seemed right for me because it wasn't where I belong. The older I got the more I adored women like Scarlett O'Hara and Dolly Parton, but couldn't stay away from fishing ponds either, that's when I realized I was a country girl stuck in suburbia. Here are some signs you might find if you're a suburban country girl!

1. You love country music, but couldn’t live without a little variety.

Johnny Cash and George Strait are legends in your eyes and it wouldn’t be modern country music without a little Luke Bryan and Carrie Underwood but your shuffle playlist says the opposite. Your music library is sprinkled with a little pop, a little bit of rock, and a dash of rap.

2. You’re in love with pick-up trucks, but not in your suburban hometown.

You love the look and feel of a Chevy Silverado, especially sitting on the passenger’s side while your country boy dreamboat takes you out for a midnight drive under the stars, you’d even settle for a Jeep. Nevertheless, your Honda Civic will have to do, it’s easier to park anyway.

3. Fishing and hunting isn’t just about the Instagram post.

You’ll definitely post a picture or two with some country music captions (i.e. lyrics to Luke Bryan’s "Huntin’, Fishin', and Lovin’ Everyday") because you look really cute holding up the biggest largemouth bass you caught that day, but that’s not why you do it. You don’t squirm around at the thought of baiting your own hook or hearing a gun fire off. You probably went on one fishing trip with your dad when you were a kid and loved it ever since. And let’s not get started on how you felt the first time you shot a rifle.

4. Drinking is always a toss-up for you.

Your usual go-to is a cold beer, but sometimes going to the bar all dolled up with your girls calls for a cocktail.

5. Your rolodex of sayings is a bit confusing.

Sure, using popular words and phrases is normal, but you catch yourself using sayings like “Bless your heart” and “Bye Felicia” in the same sentence. You transition between “you all” and “y’all” along with “cursing” and “cussing”

6. Manners are a priority to you, even if no one else has them.

You’ve lived close to the city your whole life, but it still amazes you that some people just don’t have any manners whatsoever and you’re certain your parents would be ashamed of you if you acted the way some of the people you know do.

7. Your wardrobe is conflicting constantly.

Loose flannels and button down shirts take up half your closet while the other half consists of blouses, blazers, and that year’s hottest trend. You’ve got a pair of trusty muck boots in there too in between the heels and booties.

8. Your range of taste in men.

You tend to flirt across the bar with the guy who looks like he could be heading to Wall Street, you know the whole crisp white shirt, navy dress pants and sports jacket, brown dress shoes, and no tie. But your heart totally skips a beat when Mr. Flannel and baseball cap walks through the door and bonus if you can spot a belt buckle.

9. You have the same amount of mason jars as you do shot glasses.

They may look like they’re just for show, but you drink out of you mason jar more often than you use a shot glass, because even though it isn’t classy, taking shots straight for the bottle is so more effective than the traditional method.

10. Dirt roads over the strip.

Your friends might want to head to the new club on the strip but you just want to take a dirt road out to an open field and start a cozy bonfire. Tailgates and brews beat crowded bars and unnecessarily loud music any day.

11. You’re friendly with everyone, but you’ve got a small group of friends.

Opposed to the common ideals of having a large social circle like most people in your town, you keep your group small and intimate, although you’re friendly to everyone you meet. Being rude and unfriendly goes against how you were raised.

12. You get the best of both worlds

You totally wish you were born down south a lot, but you couldn’t be happier with the life you have. It’s not like you could pick between the two, who would even want to? You’re a special kind of woman, you can get dirty and have fun in the morning and be glammed up before the night even starts, you know how to be polite and sweet without taking crap from anyone, and that’s the way it will always be. So cheers to my fellow suburban born country girls!

From Your Site Articles