12 Signs Your Significant Other Is Also Your Best Friend

Sweet, honest, and somewhat disgusting signs your boyfriend or girlfriend is also your BFF.

17
Maggie Copeland

...and why it's the best feeling in the world.

Some traits of a relationship with your best friend might seem a little unsettling to some, but definitely not to the those who have been in or are currently in a relationship of this type. With the comfort and ease of a friendship and the love and passion of a relationship, couples who feel this way are beyond in tune with one another. Maybe not everyone understands it, but the two of you do. You flow together on an entirely different level than either one of you have ever known.

1. You send each other ridiculous selfies.

When you're eating Chinese food with a friend, and you haveto make yourself a walrus using the chopsticks... you immediately send it to your boyfriend or girlfriend. You send them the most hideous faces you can make, or maybe a video of you doing something totally ridiculous, like chugging a bottle of chocolate syrup. No matter what it is, just the thought of them laughing at your level of goofiness makes you smile.

2. You no longer feel the need to constantly be concerned about the way you look.

When the makeup comes off and the hair products wash out, you look at each other stripped to the very basics and still see the most attractive human you've ever known right there in front of you. Each day, no matter if you gain a few pounds, wake up with sleepy eyes and messy hair, have a zit from hell pop up on your face, you'll still get that look of pure adoration. Of course, you still want to go all out for each other sometimes, especially on date nights.

3. Bodily functions happen.

You can throw that theory that women don't poop out the window, because there will be no more denial for the sake of being cute. There will be blunt honesty about gas and restroom visits, and the embarrassment will go away. You can kiss your shame goodbye too. Also, her menstrual cycle becomes ourmenstrual cycle. The fact that a woman's vagina bleeds once a month should not be a horror story for any grown man. She will feel able to openly bring up the subject around him, and he will be willing to make a run for feminine products and chocolate.

4. Even if you're thousands of miles apart, your minds are always on the same plane.

So, you're thinking about something totally off-the-wall and unpredictable. You talk to your S.O., and he or she starts describing the exact same thought you had. It's scary, really. You'll finish the other's thoughts, as cliché as it may sound. Also, if one of you is experiencing extreme anxiety, pain, or even happiness, the other may feel it. It sounds ridiculous, but the coincidences will start to become too much. Then, you'll realize you're now two parts of a whole.

5. You don't have to spend a cent to have the happiest time of your lives.

The best memories you've ever experienced have been made at home or in the car, just holding hands and talking about anything and everything. Even when you're in public, it feels like being alone together because you don't see anyone else. Going out for dates is fun and necessary from time to time, but you find the same rush just sitting on a couch together watching horror films and eating ice cream. Separate containers of ice cream, though, because one of you likes chocolate and the other likes vanilla.

6. Home is wherever he or she is.

When you think of a warm place you can call home, he or she is always there. Whether you live together already or you're planning for the future, you can't imagine a home without them. Home doesn't even have to be a place you live, but a feeling. Maybe home is absolutely anywhere you can be close to each other and really feel the vibes of this crazy, happy bond the two of you have built.

7. Your entire relationship is a no judgment zone.

You're both a little weird, and that's perfectly fine. The important thing is that you don't look at each other's quirks and see flaws. You look at each other's quirks and fall in love with them more and more each time. You can lie in bed and talk about the most random ideas that come to mind. You can share dreams that might seem a little far-fetched, knowing you'll get support regardless. Some days, you might not feel like the best person, and you need to let out some darkness. Regardless, you can count on your S.O. to be right there, taking in every word you have to say with that same look that says, "I love you."

8. You understand life didn't begin the day you met, and you respect each other’s pasts.

Some people come from very different backgrounds and have lived very different lives. A person's past is what has molded him or her into being the person they are today. For that reason, the two of you are able to openly discuss your pasts with one another. Even if it is difficult to hear at first or you can't quite relate on every level, you still understand each other and embrace where the two of you have been. After all, it's the paths that led you straight to each other.

9. There is no such thing as personal space.

This doesn't necessarily refer to the way the two of you are always tangled up in each other's arms, or the way you constantly kiss each other all over. Although, that happens too. No personal space includes the way one of you ends up draped across the other while sleeping. It includes the way you do things that are disgusting to those outside of your relationship, like biting each other. Wrestling gets intense because you aren't afraid to completely twist yourselves together like some weird, human pretzel, and pressing your faces together is how you talk half the time.

10. What belongs to one of you belongs to both of you.

Food, drinks, clothes - you share it all. You're at a carnival, and he buys a snow cone... Guess who's going to ask for a bite and end up eating half. It's alright, though, because the system works the same way no matter who buys the food. You have no qualms about eating and drinking after each other. Why should you, when you're swapping saliva half the time anyway? He takes a bite, she takes a bite. He takes a sip, she takes a sip. She will wear his t-shirts and not only to bed. That hoodie he wears so often, that smells like his cologne? Consider it hers, especially when he is away. Sharing this way feels natural for the two of you.

11. You can sense a disturbance in his or her mood.

When no one else in the world would be able to see what you're talking about, you just know. A change in his or her normal texting pattern, down to an off punctuation mark or a use of phrasing that's uncharacteristic of your S.O. is enough to let you know. You can see micro-expressions on each other's faces that say something totally different than, "I'm fine." The slightest change in the tone of voice or the way they breathe can set off a red flag. Others call you crazy, but you're almost never wrong about it. No matter how many times he or she says "nothing's wrong" or "I'm fine," you set out on a mission to bring it out of them. They may act like it annoys them, but, deep down, they appreciate the amount of effort you put into picking them apart.

12. You don't cast blame on one another, or let the other feel alone for a second.

When problems arise, neither of you blames the other nor brings up grudges in order to belittle each other. If you are angry, you express it. However, you don't blow off your steam with hateful words, and you never threaten to leave. You always express your feelings, while still allowing them to see that you aren't going anywhere. Any conflict is a conflict to be dealt with as partners. Whenever things go south for one of you, you go down hand-in-hand. Even if you can't exactly fix the situation for him or her, you always let them know they'll never have to face anything alone. No matter how hard the situation is, you both hold onto that comfort of knowing you always have each other.