12 Scary Things About Adulting

12 Scary Things About Adulting

Being an adult is terrifying so don't do it

2059
12 Scary Things About Adulting

Here's the thing, we all talk about how scary being an adult is and how we're basically just going to crash and burn once we're on our own. While we might be a little dramatic, being an adult is genuinely terrifying.

1. Living on your own

In a perfect world, I would live with my dad for the rest of my life because that's safe and easy. However, life isn't supposed to be easy. It's supposed to challenge us. The problem is, I can barely take care of a goldfish let alone myself and a house all at once.

2. Taxes

What the hell are taxes? We go through our entire school careers without even mentioning the word. Of course, I know the quadratic equation like the back of my hand and the fact that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, but ask me how to do taxes and I will give you a blank stare. We will go to jail for not doing taxes yet we've never learned how to do them. If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

3. Making Your Own Appointments

Calling the doctor or the dentist is probably one of the scariest things an adult has to do. I would rather never go to the doctor than call them to make my very own appointment. That's a no go for me. Thanks though.

4. Healthcare

Along with making your own appointments, you also need healthcare as an adult. You're no longer under your parents healthcare so if you have to go to the doctor, you need health insurance (unless you want to pay a million dollars for one physical) (but since we're most likely poor adults, we probably don't have a million dollars)

5. Friends (or YOU) Getting Engaged

It's the strangest and scariest thing to think that in 10 years time I could be married and having my first kid. 30 years old seems so far away but 10 years goes fast. If you're anywhere in your 20s, you'll know that you're at the age where your friends will start to get engaged and you'll get wedding invites in the mail. I feel like getting married is like the entry way into real life adulthood (granted, not everyone has to get married, and that's perfectly fine too (one less person you have to deal with)).

6. Unexpected Expenses

As an adult, things are thrown your way that you least expect. That dog you saw at the shelter is really calling your name so you get the dog, but really you know you can't afford the dog. That is an unexpected expense. In all seriousness if something in your house (or for me, my cardboard box) breaks, you'll need to find a way to get it fixed or if you need to go to the emergency room for whatever reason, it all costs money. I feel like unexpected expenses should be in it's own category in the budget (which apparently it is).

7. Budgeting

LOL making a budget. That's a very adult thing to do. Getting money and making a budget is much more mature than getting paid and blowing it all on McDonalds. Things cost money and when you're an adult and can't pay for those things, you're kinda screwed. But it is fine. We are all fine.

8. A "wild night out"

You'll know you're a true adult when a wild night is sitting in your PJs on a Friday evening with a glass of wine in hand, binge watching the Harry Potter series.

9. Making the Right Decision

Saying to yourself "no, I don't need that" and the putting back the 42 dollar makeup pallet is very adult like. Making decisions is already extremely hard, but making the right one is even harder.

10. Routine Days

As you get deeper and deeper into the black hole that is adulthood, you'll realize that your days are becoming routine and spontaneous. You'll wake up, get coffee, go to work all day, come home and make dinner, and then go to sleep. It'll be like this day in and day out and then you'll have a midlife crisis at like 27 because as a child (child being the ages between 1 and when you move out) you're used to being able to make each day different.

11. Going to sleep at a reasonable hour

I've already fallen victim to this one. I used to be able to stay up until 4am and still get up at 10am. Now though, I'm in bed by 9:30pm and I get up, at the latest, 8:30am. If that's not the epitome of adulthood, I don't know what is. Who knew getting almost 12 hours of sleep was possible?

12. Sounding Just Like Your Parents

You'll be chatting with some friends and say something and then vomit a little bit because you realize you sounded just like your dad right then or just like your mom. And then you'll revaluate you're entire life and you'll feel like you're circling into a dark tunnel of despair.