12 Reasons to Love Libraries

Libraries can be entertaining and fun places. Where people can come in and take comfort in the fact that you have so many different free media or informative sources at your finger tips, they are able to be relaxed and even happy in these book filled buildings. There are a countless number of reasons for libraries to be loved, these are just a few of them.

1. Free Books

One of the biggest and most popular reasons people go to the library is books. They usually want to check out books and the best part of that is the fact is the books are free to check out, take home, and read for a certain amount of time.

2. Computer Access

Not everyone always has computer access in their homes or internet. So most libraries include computer in which people can use to write emails, search the web, watch videos (with headphones), among other things. Best part of this is the computer access is completely free.

3. Printing and Copier Access

Many libraries also have copiers and printers in which for either free or a few cents per page, someone can print pages out or use the copier to make copies of papers.

4. Possible Books for Sale

Sometimes libraries have sections or certain days in which they have boxes or tables of used books for sale that people have donated. These books usually range from anywhere from one dollar to 25 cents.

5. Library Events

Most libraries have events during certain days such as story time for kids, book clubs, charity functions, book signings, etc. Some may be free or have to pay a certain amount to be allowed into an event or be a member of a certain club prior to the event. However, these events are usually very fun and can help promote local authors, raise money for clubs or charity, entertain the public, etc.

6. Study Area

Libraries are most famous for having books and being quiet places to read, do research, etc. Libraries are a great place to study and get homework done as you can be sure most of the time these buildings are for the most part pretty silent. Some libraries, especially ones that are in educational facilities, include private study sections or rooms designated for students wishing to have private study sessions or study groups.

7. Online Databases

Online databases are usually available through libraries, mainly college or school libraries. These databases usually contain scholarly articles or other legitimate and/or well researched information that can be printed out and/or cited to be used in things like reports, non fiction books, and other assignments in which certain information is required. These databases sometimes can only be used through schools or through the library themselves, as they can have certain log in information that only works at the certain library.

8. Magazines and Newspapers

If you wish to look at other reading materials like magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. these are usually offered for free at the library. While they can not always be checked out or at least not as long as books, magazines and newspapers are also offered to be read at the library and are usually one of the most recent issues as well as past issues.

9. Archive Sections

Some libraries include not only magazines and newspaper from previous years that can be read, but also important documents usually pertaining to the town or area that the library is located in. Libraries like The Library of Congress can have photos, articles, manuscripts, film, maps, and more that holds large importance to history of the U.S and even the world. While these items in various collections can not always be taken out of the library, sometimes archive items in libraries (depending on which library it is in) can be copied at a photo copier.

10. Librarians

Librarians can be very helpful people. If you ask they can help you find information on a certain subject, a book you want to read, or about other resources that the library may offer. While they may ask you to not be rowdy and quiet down, they are only trying to enforce the rules of the library and want to make sure that there are no disturbances to those who wish to read or study or just relax in a quiet location.

11. DVD and CD-ROM Rentals

If you wish to watch movies at your house or play computer games you are in luck. Many libraries have sections in which you can take home movies to watch or games that can be played on computer. While you of course have to take these back, this is a great way to be able to see certain movies or play games that you have had to pay anywhere from a dollar to twenty dollars to have access to elsewhere.

12. Feel Free to Not Pay

When was the last time that you were able to go to a place where you could bring an item home you wanted completely free? At a library you can get items that would normally cost people a decent size of money, especially for newer items. With the option to check books out of library or use a computer and internet access to do research or print out papers, or take out a movie or game, all of these option are free with a library card and can help save people hundreds to thousands of dollars a year depending on what they are using the library for. Unless you have a overdue item and have to pay a small fine or a lost or damage a book, you should not have to worry about making any payments to the library.

The library can be a great place to find and read books, spend time with friends, research information, and more. So if you have any free time, maybe take a walk or drive over to your local library.