12 New Words You'll Be Dying To Add To Your Vocabulary

Because when you want to say that something is not very stupid, it's actually morosis.

10450
Bing Images

In my opinion, it's always fun to learn new words and figure out how to use them in a sentence or phrase, so here are a few of my favorites, and also a few new ones that I've learned!

1. Elysian (Greek) [el-ee-zee-an] (adj.)

Beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

This is one of my personal favorite words because of its simple elegance.

2. Morosis (Greek) [more-oh-sis] (n.)

The stupidest of stupidities.

Because if it's beyondstupid, it's morosis.

3. Querencia (Spanish) [keh-ren-see-ah] (n.)

A place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self.

This sounds like love and perhaps one of the points of life itself, to find your querencia, and it's one of my new favorites.

4. Ephemeral {Greek) [eff-fem-er-ahl] (adj.)

Lasting for a very short time.

This was actually a word I learned in my English 102 class. It was one that was something we were told we should definitely know. Ya know, one of those words that makes you sound smart. Also, I'm told it could be a great way to break up with someone; nothing like being told that the love between you and another person is ephemeral, I guess. Especially if you're into dramatic endings. *insert tragic music* *cue exit to stage right*

5. Coruscate (Latin) [core-us-skate] (v.)

To reflect brilliantly; to sparkle.

Like... "Her eyes coruscated with such inner beauty that even the stars couldn't shine brighter than the heart within her."

6. Kalopsia (Greek) [kah-lope-see-ah] (n.)

The delusion of things being more beautiful than they really are.

Perhaps like the other person in the relationship in one of the previous examples who thought their relationship was going great and headed towards a future, the one who was blinded by kalopsia.

7. Coriaceous (Latin) [core-ee-at-shus] (adj.)

Of or like leather.

"This jacket? It's not leather, it's made of a coriaceous material."

8. Meraki (Greek) [mehr-ah-kee] (v.)

To do something with soul, creativity, or love; to put something of yourself into your work.

Her paintings were full of meraki, and because of it they were some of the most realistically brilliant pieces he had ever seen.

9. Kawaakari (Japanese) [kah-wa-a-car-ee] (n.)

The gleam of last light on a river's surface at dusk; the glow of a river in the darkness.

"The sun had almost gone down completely, leaving the magic of kawaakari on the water."

OK, so granted this one probably isn't the easiest or most common to use in a sentence, but it is beautiful.

10. Viridity (Middle English/Latin) [vuh-rid-I-tee] (n.)

Naïve innocence.

The girl had such viridity in her soul that even the most belligerent individual could not help but be convinced that what she said could be true.

11. Saudade (Portuguese) [soh-dah-duh] (n.)

A deep emotional state of melancholic longing for a person or thing that is absent.

Like when you're away at college, missing your dog and family at home. Or, when you think about the mac and cheese that your mom hasn't made in awhile... (hint, hint, wink, wink).

12. Nefelibata (Spanish/Portuguese) [ne-fe-le-ba-ta] (n.)

A cloud walker; one who lives in the cloud of their own imagination or dreams, or one who does not abide by the precepts of society, literature, or art; an unconventional, unorthodox person.

Yeah, this is another one you probably won't use very often, but it's definitely unique! Plus, if you ever do use this word in a sentence correctly, you get major brownie points! And, you sound like quite the scholar. Go you!