what do i need for nursing school

12 Must-Haves For Every Nursing Student

Study this. There will be a test. It's called "Nursing School."

5405
12 Must-Haves For Every Nursing Student
Wikimedia

Now that you're in nursing school, you'd better start looking, doing, and feeling like it.

When you get into a program you will feel like a helpless baby deer that has no idea what is going on. Thankfully, when I got into my program, I had watched a couple of friends go in before me, so I had some of an idea as to what to expect. Yes, nursing school can be scary, hard, and unpredictable but it can also be the biggest growing season in your life. That is why I have compiled the 12 necessities of a nursing student. Use these as little tools towards becoming a nurse.

Find your best use for them, and then pass them down to another helpless little nursing student just getting started! We all don't want to be one of those nurses who "eat their young", everyone has had those encounters at clinical or in lecture and it is not fun at all.

Let's build each other up to be the best nurses we can be.

1. Simple Nursing with Michael Linares

I am one of the biggest visual learners I know (not to brag or anything). But I swear YouTube has got me through nursing school. There is a video for nearly everything! And Michael Linares for Simple Nursing is the best that I have found! He talks about pharmacology, pathophysiology, the nursing process, EVERYTHING! Another awesome site and YouTube channel is RegisteredNurseRN! Check them both out!

2. COFFEE.

I mean. Need I say more? You're a nursing student now. The stronger the better. Those that say they don't like coffee or just prefer not to drink it, from my studies, go down harder than any coffee addict. Following the first exam, you'll see them walking with sunglasses on and to-go coffee mug in-hand. It's necessary to stay awake, get through the afternoon, and sadly for those deep into their nursing school journey (me) it's is needed at bedtime... just to soothe my headache from reading five chapters out of the blandest textbooks.

3. The "Intense Studying" Playlist on Spotify

This playlist is perfect for drowning out your soft sobs as you write out one more essay, care plan, discussion question, or read one (or 3) more chapters. Spotify is fabulous for getting to know what you like and you can create your own playlist.

*EXTRA HACK: Make a playlist with soft study music, and then every half hour put in a peppy dance song to cue you to get up and take a break, YOU DESERVE IT!

4. Scrunchies

*This is as "done" my hair gets since I'm in nursing school.

OK. I'll be honest with all of you. Since nursing school, my personal hygiene has shifted directions. It has become more about simplicity versus style for me. And that means washing my hair every two to three days. So throwing my hair up in a Scrunchie has become a much better route compared to a regular hair tie... BECAUSE OUCH. And hair dents. We all know about hair dents.

5. A Good Face Wash

*Does anyone actually wash their face like this? Because, Wow. What a mess.

Again like we talked about. In nursing school, good hygiene is the least of your worries. Plus my brain by the end of the day cannot handle a 12-step face cleansing product system whatever you wanna call it. If you are like me and can just do a cleansing make-up remover wipe with some moisturizer afterward, DO IT. And P.S. stress breakouts are real. Don't be embarrassed by them, embrace them.

6. Colorful Pens and Index Cards

*Every nursing student loves long walks down the office supply aisle in Target, amiright Ladies?

Make your life a little more festive and what a better way to do so than by starting with the tools you contemplate hurting yourself with every day in nursing school! Get some good quality pens that won't give out on you half-way through lecture or a study session. And just go ahead and buy the bulk pack of index cards... those should get you at least through Pharmacology.

7. Dark Chocolate

*Yes, you do deserve the family size bag.

Hi. My name's Blakelynn and I have a dark chocolate addiction. So this one may be a little more biased, but the trick is to treat yourself every once in a while. And if you're a really strong person, you'll only allow yourself to have those treats say, when you're doing homework or studying... talk about an incentive? Knowledge and CHOCOLATE!

8. A Good Water Bottle

I personally started with a Camelback and then got a Swell for Christmas and I love it! It holds a crap-ton of water and keeps it cold all day. Supposedly you can use it to hold hot drinks in it as well, but I haven't been that adventurous with it yet. But the point is, find something that will make you want to drink your water! It's important!

9. Lypsyl Chapstick

*Just a heads up: These little guys are not as easy to track down as it may seem... I have really only had luck at a few random SuperWalmarts and a random Target.

This is another addiction I have. These chapsticks work SOOOOO well. No joke. I have one in my purse, backpack, clinical bag, one sitting on my desk, and one sitting next to my bed. My mom made me fall in love with this brand after she would sneak them into our stocking stuffers and Easter baskets. God bless her for it. #youcreatedamonster

10. NursesLabs.com

Bookmark this on your laptop now. They have an awesome assortment of sample care plans, NCLEX questions, and study material. This site is awesome for anyone really looking to throat punch nursing school because they help so much! No joke. Look into this wealth of information. ASAP.

11. Live WebCams

Aquariums. Beaches. Times Square. Pandas. Whatever floats your boat! Seriously, you can even watch boats. But I have fallen in love with live webcams! They take me away for a quick second from the loads of work I have to do but they are so soothing and it's nice to sit and watch a familiar or not so familiar place! My personal favorites usually come from the Georgia Aquarium and Earthcam.com!

12. A PLANNER.

*These planners are the best!!! And I found mine on sale at Michaels craft store! Find them here!

I mean. If you have got to the point where you have earned the title of "nursing student" you more than likely utilize a planner. But if you do not by this point... you're a special breed. But for real, GET A PLANNER. Your life will become far better when your nose is tucked into the pages worth of labs, simulations, clinicals, and classes, plus whatever "extracurriculars" you may be in.

So there you have it! If you have a tool that has got you through nursing school share it! Help out the little ones coming up behind you! Let's help each other out! I wouldn't have made it through nursing school without these things and I hope they help you too! So good luck!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Note: As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.