12 Things I Learned From Being The Middle Child

Ever feel like no one understands your struggles as the middle sibling?

226
Whiskey Riff

Being the middle child is anything but easy. It is a a full time job that comes with the best benefits. So because you are the middle child, you do not have the pleasure of your parents "understanding" your situation. Sure, they give the oldest has a hard time because they are the first to do everything and they are easiest on the youngest because it is the baby, so they could never do anything wrong. After being raised between two sisters, I have learned patience, selflessness, and strength. I would not have it any other way.

Here are just 12 of many lessons I have learned through being the middle child:

1. Being the original "youngest" and "favorite"

If you are anything like me, you know that once you were born, you were the one that needed the most attention and care and you just ate that up! At this moment, nothing could pop your perfect life bubble because you know that your parents could never make another kid after you because you are everything they could have dreamed of.

2. And then realizing that the REAL youngest comes along and you are not the center of attention anymore

So maybe you were wrong. Maybe your parents saw just how perfect you are and thought they could make another you? You can not help but envy that little baby and wish that the whole family was hugging you and bringing you gifts! But at the same time, this little thing looks just like your dolls and you love it so much!

3. Your siblings will gang up on you

Siblings will always fight. It is one thing we are guaranteed to do. However, it is a completely different situation when you are fighting with more than one person. Siblings know where to hit you and where it will hurt, so just imagine that times two. I guess you could say growing up as the middle child as taught me how to be strong and resilient.

4. Having an older sibling to listen to old jams with

It is always nice to have that older figure in your life that you can connect with. Someone that will blast the music in their car on the way to school and only notify you when it is okay for you to sing along because they are not THAT irritated with you today (yes, I am talking about my older sister revoking my singing rights in her car when I was in high school).

5. But also having the younger sibling update you on the new, ~hip~ things going on

As a 20-year-old, I feel that I am pretty in-tune with new innovations (whether it be with social media, music, gadgets), but my little sister never fails to make me feel like I am not. But, on the bright side, she is always helpful in showing me the ropes of what it is like to be 13 again.

6. You will get blamed for most things

Oh, but the middle child is always the one that "should know best" because you have an older sibling to look up to and a young sibling to set an example for and, yet, I do not (sorry dad).

7. Constantly questioning your parents on who their favorite is (hey dad! I know it's me *wink, wink*)

I know you are reading this and thinking, "oh my goodness! How could you ask a parent that?" Well, I do! And we all do! Like I said, this is a competition and knowing that you are winning means the world to you!

8. The older sibling gets to test your parents' patience first so you don't have to

Something I will always be thankful for is the fact that I have an older sister that has tried all the tricks in the book and I now know which ones do and do not work (thanks sis!)

9. After the oldest leaves, you now run the show

Yes, it is that time when you are no longer stuck to being the quiet middle child that leaves the house to go to school and locks themselves in their bedroom and does not communicate with the outside world. You are now a, ew I do not want to say it, role model. Good luck!

10. Keeping notes of when your siblings do you wrong

Let's face it, having two sisters is hard because I am constantly thinking about who will be my maid of honor. Therefore, I suggest keeping notes of whenever they do you wrong and then look on your wedding day. You are welcome.

11. Being the family chauffeur right when you turn 16

Yes, your older sister has a car, but she has "more important" responsibilities than you do! It is now your turn to get behind the wheel everyday and take your little sister to soccer practice!

12. You will always have people surrounding you that have your back

Through thick and thin, these two girls have stood up for me, joked with me, sang, laughed, cried, and have done it all with me. Being the middle child is a full time job, like I said, but I would not trade that position for anything else in the world.

P.S. Thank you to my family for giving me the best gifts of all, all of you.

li.li1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545} ol.ol1 {list-style-type: decimal}