12 Of The Best 'Looking For Alaska' Quotes

Although the whole book is the best

4615

If you haven't read John Green's Looking For Alaska, please do. Since high school, it has been my favorite book (as always, I thank one of my teacher's for making me read it). It tells the story of love, life, and loss in a way that you don't know you need--until you do. Although the entire text is my favorite, here are 12 of the best quotes from the best pages.

1. "'So this guy,' I said, standing in the doorway of the living room. 'François Rabeilas. He was this poet. And his last words were ''I go to seek a Great Perhaps.' That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps.'" (Miles, 5)

2. "Maybe she could be mean...but the way she talked that first night about getting out of the labyrinth---so smart. And the way her mouth curled up on the right side all the time, like she was preparing to smirk, like she'd mastered the right half of the Mona Lisa's inimitable smile..." (30)

3. "'Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia.'" (Alaska, 54)

4. "'Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war." (56)

5. "'Hold on.' He grabbed a pencil and scrawled excitedly at the paper as if he'd just made a mathematical breakthrough and then looked back up at me. 'I just did some calculations, and I've been able to determine that you're full of shit.'" (The Colonel, 78)

6. "So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane." (88)

7. "'Scared isn't a good excuse!' she shouted into the couch. 'Scared is the excuse everyone has always used.'" (Alaska, 95)

8. "We did not say: This can wait until tomorrow. Anything--everything--can wait." (132)

9. "But I guess I didn't know her completely, either. If I had, I'd have known what she's meant by 'To be continued?' And if I had cared about her as I should have, as I thought I did, how could I have let her go?" (159)

10. "'You can't just make me different and then leave,' I said out loud to her. 'Because I was fine before, Alaska. I was fine with just me and last words and school friends, and you can't just make me different and then die." (172)

11. "But ultimately I do not believe that she was only matter. The rest of her must be recycled too…There is a part of her greater than the sum of her knowable parts. And that part has to go somewhere, because it cannot be destroyed.” (220)

12. “Thomas Edison’s last words were: “It’s very beautiful over there.” I don’t know where there is, but I believe it’s somewhere, and I hope it’s beautiful.” (221)

Tempted to read more? Find your own copy at most bookstores or online--and then help your friends find one of their own, too.