12 Inspirational Quotes From The Novels Of Stephen King

12 Quotes From Stephen King's Works

741

One of the world's most powerful and prolific writers, not just of horror, but a multitude of genres spanning over many, many books, is a man of deep wisdom. Stephen King manages to slip in ingenious dialogue and description with almost anything he creates. This article will explore some direct quotes from some of his greatest works. From tear-jerkers to passages that'll really make you think, it's always worth building up a solid base of influential writing, something to build yourself on and more.

1. "If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die." - Stephen King's Christine.

These powerful words resonates with many. As humans we have the gift of being in tune with our mortality, we know we will die and live our lives by that. Some people see it as a curse, and others can't handle the knowledge all together. Being a child, filled with wonderment and with an exploratory attitude often leads to children not thinking of their eventual deaths. Adults are at ages where they must constantly live with the fact that their lives are ever-approaching their end, with the experiences of youth they must find ways to deal with it, and come to peace with mortality.

2. "People who try hard to do the right thing always seem mad." - Stephen King's The Stand

This quote highlights the frustration many feel when they're going against the natural flow of things. Though it can be interpreted in a few different ways, it is probably meant to explain the sometimes narcissistic attitudes of those trying to do "right" by someone who might not exactly be in the wrong, at least to themselves.

3. "When all else fails, give up and go to the library." Stephen King's 11/22/63.

A very straight forward example of the power knowledge and research holds. A library, a place filled with amazing assortments of books and other texts is a place where one can gain the knowledge or understanding they need to overcome a tough situation.

4. "What we like to think of ourselves and what we really are rarely have much in common...." Stephen King's The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three.

For those feeling inadequate or to those who are overconfident without much grounds for reasoning, this passage is a clear line about the differences of personal thought and outwards appearance. Many people over-humble themselves, not able to see their true greatness, while others have no grounds to be the way they are, but are, to themselves, justified. Take a minute to think about yourself, who you really are, and who you want to be.

5. "There is no gain without risk, perhaps no risk without love." Stephen King's Pet Cemetery.

Love is often the catalyst for one pushing themselves past their limits. Whether it's for a partner or for someone else who is deeply loved, one can push themselves far past their usual limits and explore further than someone without that sort of love.

6 "We all do what we can, and it has to be good enough, and if it isn't good enough, it has to do." Stephen King's The Dead Zone

One could do everything in their power to fix a situation and not get far. If your personal limits aren't at a level where you could achieve what's considered "good", sometimes what you can do has to be enough for you. As many often hear, as long as you try your hardest, that's all that counts.

7. "You want to be good for the ones you love, because you know that your time with them will end up being too short, no matter how long it is." Stephen King's Lisey's Story.

Going back to the theme of our mortality, it's sometimes hard to come to terms with the fact that ourselves and our loved ones are not destined to stay on earth forever. Some people love their loved ones more than themselves, and that makes mortality even harder, especially if their loved ones are outlived. So be good for them, people want to be good for those they love. Even if you fight, try your best to be good.

8. "Anger is the most useless emotion, destructive to the mind and hurtful to the heart." Stephen King's The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah.

Anger is, to many, a senseless and terrible emotion. It brings out people's dark sides and is the reason for many deaths in the world, not to mention a lot of it's strife. Wars, fighting, murder, it can all bring itself back to anger. Perhaps it is completely useless.

9. "It's best to be ruthless with the past." Stephen King's Rose Madder.

The past is not always as it seems. Many look back to past relationships and past experiences through rose-colored glasses. A lot of times the past holds strife, we move past it best we can. One shouldn't think too fondly of the past all the time, and it's sometimes necessary to be ruthless.

10. "Sometimes you can grab a chain and use it to pull yourself out of a dark place. Mostly, though, I think you get wrapped up in them." Stephen King's From a Buick 8.

A lot of times, when in a bad, dark situation, we humans grasp onto the first sign of hope that we can. However, doing that can be dangerous. You can end up thrown into further despair, tangling yourself in metaphorical chains and sinking darker into your own darkness. It's important to bring yourself to the point you want to be in the truest way to yourself.

11. "Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters." Stephen King's The Shining.

The dark, melancholy emotions of humanity tend to beget more and more of those dark emotions. In nature, humans can be calm, find beauty everywhere, and have quite a bright outlook. But within human-made constructs, cubicles, dirty cities, one can become a monster themselves. Drowning in the worst natures of humanity. It's important to stay true to oneself no matter what, you are you, humanity as a whole has it's light and it's dark, you should always find the balance.

12. "There's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst." Stephen King's The Shawshank Redemption.

Some people are hesitant to remain too hopeful, especially after life's common relentlessness. But you should never completely lose hope. Wish for things you feel you deserve, better yourself and hope for a greater future. Just be prepared, and don't thrust yourself into pure hope without having a back up plan!

No matter what your future holds, think back to these quotes, and remember that it's always possible to better yourself.