12 Game-Changing Lessons I Learned Since My Naive High School Days

Dear high school self, thank you.

59
Brandon Bourdages/123rf Stock Photo

Dear silly and naive high school me,

I can't believe it's been five years since freshman year. So much has happened since then — I don't even know where to start. I've succeeded, I've failed; it's been a disaster and a half.

Well, guess what? I got into our number one school, I found the most amazing first job, and unfortunately, I have not fallen madly in love with the current bachelor (yet).

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be half the person I am today if it wasn't for my time during high school. While I can't go back and change the past (trust me, I'd wanna get rid of that horrid wear-cheetah-print- everyday stage), I wish you knew what I knew now; I wish you took all of this advice below:

1. Take advantage of every opportunity you get. Who cares if your friends aren't doing it? That doesn't mean you can't. Go for it!

2. Talk to the boy you like. If i've learned anything in the past five years, your subliminal glances at your crush get you nowhere; guys can be pretty oblivious sometimes. I know it's scary but make the first move or to text him first but it'll be worth it in the end. Just remember, boys are not life by any means.

3. Never doubt who you are. You're great no matter what. Who cares if the guy you wanted to ask to prom asked someone else, that doesn't make you any less of a person. "Rejection" does not equate to failure. Just because one person doesn't reciprocate feelings doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who won't look at you like you put all stars in the sky- trust me, you are not unloveable like you think you are.

4. You're going to fail. Like I said above, life isn't going to be easy. You're going to fail the exam you studied hours for, you're gonna get waitlisted from one of your top colleges-- it happens. We're not expected to fly through life unscathed, trust me. You will battle different obstacles throughout your life.

5. It's okay to cry. Don't be ashamed if every once and awhile you just break down and sob into a tub of ice cream. It's not healthy to hold things in and you'll honestly feel much better afterwards. Pain is healthy.

6. Be adventurous. Yeah I know you probably have hours of AP World homework, but it's okay to take a break every once and awhile. You don't learn anything from being cooped up in your room all weekend, trust me. Use that new license of yours to take a road trip, or ditch school to see that concert you've been dying to see. One day of excitement won't kill you.

7. Embrace your curly hair. Please stop wearing your hair in a ponytail. Wear it down more often. But yes, it's okay to straighten your hair, just don't rely on it. Natural hair is wayyyy better than burnt hair.

8. Titles don't matter. So what if you didn't play a varsity sport all four years, so what if you were on "Principal's Honor Roll" (or whatever equivalent your school has) every quarter/semester? None of that matters in college- so stopping obsessing over some superficial thing. You're better than any silly title.

9. Remember where you came from. When you enter college, everything you think you know about how it works flies out the window. You'll meet people who will change you and it's easy to get swept up in the whirlwind. Remember how hard you worked to get to where you are, and never feel like you need to change just to fit in.

10. Love with all your heart. No matter where you go or who you meet, love with 110% of your heart. When you're passionate, show it. Never forget to say "I love you" to your parents every once an awhile- trust me, they're not out to get you. You'll realize how much you need them when they're four hours away from you for most of the year.

11. Relationships take effort. A friendship is a two-way street, don't waste your time on someone who can't give you the time of the day. It's honestly better to have a few close friends than a large group of people you barely have time for. Treasure the friends you do have because you'll never have a time again where you'll practically see them 24/7. Never ever take a friendship for granted.

12 Respect yourself. Don't let people walk all over you, you're more than just a doormat or punching bag. Stand up for yourself, speak your mind. Don't let anyone else define you but you.

So to quote Fall Out Boy, "thanks for the memories, even if they weren't so great."

Love,

Your wiser college self (HA jokes)