12 Facts Of Life With Naturally Curly Hair

Who run the world? Curls!

5902
Forbes

Your curly hair; a blessing and a curse, a huge pain in the butt that’s worth all the trouble, the biggest love-hate relationship you’ve ever been a part of. While your hair is unique to you, there are some parts of life with curly hair that we all share.

1. People will touch it.

Never in my life have I felt it necessary to pet the hair of a human like they are a dog… Apparently other people do not feel the same.

2. You’ve tried everything and anything that promises better curls.

Satin pillowcases, diffusers, microfiber towels, witch doctors; if it claims less frizz, more definition, etc, you’ve tried it.

3. Brushes are evil.

People seem to be confused by the fact that curly hair cannot be brushed, maybe if we showed them they would understand.

4. Shampoo is a curl killer.

Believe it or not, shampoo is really not necessary and is actually pretty bad for your curls! Try a cleansing conditioner, sulfate-free shampoo, or just a good old-fashioned scrub to keep your hair clean and healthy!

5. The cold does in fact bother you anyway.

Dry air sucks out all of the moisture, hat hair is a serious issue, and unless your hair is completely dry, there’s a good chance it will freeze. Let’s face it, winter is not our friend.

6. Summer is not much better.

The heat and humidity of summer can be a real killjoy to curly girls, at least your hair won’t freeze to your head though.

7. People try to compliment by comparison but that can hurt.

"So… I look like Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries... pre-makeover? Umm, thank you?"

8. Haircuts can be extra terrifying.

Unless your stylist really knows curls, there’s a chance your “trim” will leave you with six inches off and a generally lopsided mess.

9. You will have to answer a lot of questions.

Is your hair natural? How do you get it like that? What products do you use? Have you ever straightened it? Can I touch it? Do you like it? Is it hard to do? The list goes on and on…

10. There are days that a messy bun is the only option... many days.

Woke up late? Bun. Stopped at the gym? Bun. Just don’t feel like messing with it? Bun. Uncooperative weather? Bun. Styled it to perfection but your hair decided to ruin your day? Bun. Seriously, sometimes you forget what it feels like to have your hair down.

11. Sometimes you really hate it.

Not sure about you but I think I threaten to shave my head about twice a week. It just seems like girls with straight hair always look perfect and I have days that, well, maybe I would look better bald.

12. You wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Your hair is so much more to you than hair, it’s part of your personality. Despite the bad hair days, constant searching for new fixes, and general annoyingness, you would never actually shave your head. You’ve been a curly girl for as long as you can remember and you wear it with pride!