12 Equestrian Sports That Should Be In The Olympics

We need more than just 3-Day Eventing...

112
Foter

If you are a horse enthusiast, then this is an article for you. Many of us watch the Summer Olympics, but not for the swimming. We watch it for the equestrian competitions. But if you look at the disciplines included in the equestrian portion, it's all English disciplines. We don't see any Western disciplines or even some of the fun ones! I want to see more diversity in the equestrian sports at the Olympics. I mean, if you participated in a sport that wasn't in the Olympics, wouldn't you feel left out?

1. Vaulting.

Vaulting is literally gymnastics on horseback. I think it would be awesome if this was included in the Olympics. They already have high-level shows, but this could be an even higher level.

2. Reining.

Reining is so cool to watch. Imagine a horse running full gallop down the arena to then suddenly come to a sliding stop?! It's a lot more fantastic when the riders are dressed in a costume.

3. Combined driving.

This is very similar to the standard 3-Day Eventing, but this time, it is with carriages and more than one horse is involved.

4. Skijoring.

Skijoring is a race that involves skiing. Now, this sport could be used in the Winter Olympics. I mean, the Winter Olympics don't even have an equestrian division.

5. Polo.

Ah, the sport of kings. I would be so down to watch some polo in the Olympics.

6. Ranch sorting.

This is a popular sport, and I think it would be fascinating to watch because you're watching a horse that will get so low to the ground just to keep one cow away from the herd.

7. Mounted archery.

I mean, we already have archery. Why not make it more challenging? This is already starting to become popular due to a video that has been going viral on the internet.

8. Mounted shooting.

Again, similar to mounted archery, but this time with guns.

9. Barrel racing.

Who doesn't want to watch a competition where you have to run the fastest?

10. Western dressage.

It's basically dressage, but western. And there aren't any of the intense moves.

11. Extreme trail.

This would be intense because we would have to see how well the riders train their horses to go over many different obstacles.

12. Tent pegging.

Now, from what I've read about the sport, it sounds like jousting except they're trying to capture rings on their lance. They did it in "War Horse" but with swords.