12 Crucial Lessons To Take Your Freshman Year Of College

Make the most out of your college experience.

17
Stephanie

Going off to college for the first time is daunting and exciting and mysterious and overwhelming. You’re filled with grand ideas of what your experience there should be like, and it’s difficult to say whether or not it’s going to live up to your expectations.

Over the past few years of my college experience — along with some experience in the ‘Real World’ (that mystical world filled with independence, full-time jobs, bills, student loan repayment and debt) — I’ve been able to narrow down some tips to help you make the most out of your experience, while giving yourself the tools you'll need to succeed when you graduate.

1. Don’t Overwhelm Yourself

Go at your own pace. Yes, you should be using this time to challenge yourself — but you need to also learn when to give yourself a break. Yes, grades and homework and attendance are all important — however, your well-being is more important.

Challenge yourself intelligently. Know where and when your limits should be pushed. Some courses are stricter than others — some will allow you to miss multiple assignments or more than one or two classes, but some won’t. Learn each course’s grading and attendance policies, and make sure that you stay within those parameters.

2. It's Okay To Change Majors

It's also okay to be undecided. However, if you don't know where you're headed for the first two years of your college career — come to terms with the fact that it might take you a total of about six years to graduate. For some people, that's unacceptable — for others, it's fine. If you want to graduate in four years, stick with whichever major you choose initially.

No matter what, it's important to listen to your intuition when it comes to this. Typically, unless the degree is very technical or specific, it's unlikely to matter too much once you're out job hunting.

2. Leave The Drama In High School

Mean what you say, and say what you mean. If your life is full of drama, that usually means that there’s a lack of communication somewhere. Be forthright with your intentions, always. It might be terrifying — but drama takes way too much energy to deal with. Wouldn’t you rather spend your time enjoying your life?

That being said: Another person's opinion of you is their business and their problem. It only affects you, if you let it affect you. Live your life the way you want, and embrace those who embrace you.

3. Take Time For Yourself

Don’t let the need for a perfect grade get in the way of living life while you’re in school. Learn to improvise. Learn how to socialize and network effectively. Learn how to negotiate, work with, and communicate with people in a personable way. In a world that is becoming progressively more tech-heavy, having soft-skills like these will set you apart from the crowd.

You could be a straight A student, but if you don't have the soft-skills to back it up, you're going to have a tough climb to the top.

On top of that, take time to learn what makes you tick. Learn positive coping mechanisms and outlets for stress and frustrations. Try new things. Take risks. Make mistakes.

Fuck up.

I’m serious. Fuck up. Royally fuck up, and learn to bring yourself back from it. It’s better to do this now when you have the cushion of school than to wait until you’re out with very little to catch you.

4. Don’t Move In With Your S.O.

This is never a good idea, and you’re probably going to do it anyway. That’s OK — see the second have of the explanation in Tip 5.

When you move in with your significant other before you’ve gotten a chance to experience the real lengths of what your life can be — you’re going to start to feel suffocated. Or they will. It is so important to learn to be independent and learn how to be okay with being alone when you’re transitioning into adulthood. Those are difficult things to learn and to embrace, when you're living with an S.O.

5. Learn To Say No

Your time and your body are important. If you feel that a request or a situation is going to negatively impact either one: Say 'No'. Learn how to stand your ground, and stand by each decision you make.

6. Freshman 15 Is Self-Inflicted

When I was a Freshman back in 2012, I lost 35 pounds. That goes to show that the Freshman 15 is not inevitable. In fact, if you’re proactive about the food that you consume — you probably won’t gain a pound.

Educate yourself on nutrition and figure out what works for you. Learn how to make good nutritional decisions, and how to cook with the bare minimum. Fuel your body with food that’s good for you. Also, learn when it’s okay to make exceptions and eat crappy food. Figure out the balance that works best for you.

7. Greek Life Doesn’t Matter

Greek life really isn’t important. Sure, it can help you make friends on campus and network after you graduate — but realistically: that’s it.

I wound up putting in more effort building relationships with people and businesses off-campus — which has helped me land a few jobs when I needed them and cultivate friendships with people I actually have stuff in common with.

Typically, when you graduate college — most people will find that their college buddies/frat bros/sorority sisters are long gone. Eventually, you'll settle into real life and learn that you didn't have much in common with them — that these were people you just happened to spent a lot of time with and bonded with out of necessity. Of course, there are exceptions to this.

Put effort into building relationships that will last beyond college. Fill your support group with people you’re actively invested in, and people who are invested in you.

8. Spread Out Your Classes

Yes, having Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays off sounds like the dream.

Spoiler alert: It sucks. Hard.

By the end of each day, you are burnt out — chances are that by the last class, you’re not even retaining the information anymore. Then you wind up sleeping in the next day, only to wake up later than you should be and nearly forget to do the homework the was piled on you the previous day.

Keep your sanity. Spread out your classes.

9. Caffeine Isn't Good

It’s so cool that you drank 12 cups of coffee today! That’s a badge of honor, right? It must mean that you’re super dedicated to your education.

No. It’s not, and it doesn’t. The occasional cup of coffee is alright and can provide some health benefits. That being said, drinking it in excess (or anything in excess. is not good for your body or your mental well-being.

Caffeine isn’t good for your body, and if you need to rely on it to stay awake and get your work done — you’re probably overwhelming yourself, or there’s another problem that you need to address. Or both.

Don’t harm your body because it can’t keep up with your mind or workload. Listen to your body, and give it what it needs to keep you alive and well.

10. Sleep Is A Necessity

Speaking a bit to the previous tip: Sleep is necessary. Pulling an all-nighter does not make you any cooler, more effective or more dedicated than someone who sleeps eight hours per night.

If fact, they’re likely more effective than you. Science shows that when you get less than seven hours of sleep per night on a regular basis, you’re less likely to retain information well, make poorer judgments and your cognitive processes slow down pretty significantly.

So, make time for sleep. You will feel better, learn better and just function better overall. Again: Give your body what it needs to succeed. The reward is worth the sacrifice.

11. Make Time For Movement

Set aside time for yourself a few times per week (at least. to move. It can be whatever you want — dancing, walking, yoga, climbing, jumping, tightrope walking — anything. Just make sure to move.

Students tend to sit for the majority of the day, which is a huge strain on your body — so it’s important that you’re giving it some love to combat that. Plus, movement helps relax your mind, relieve stress and as an added bonus — it helps you learn better.

12. Give Back

Especially if you’re not from the city you’re going to school in — find a way to give back to the community you’re in. It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture, but keep in mind that this city is someone’s home.

Pick up trash if you see it, help someone who needs it if you have the opportunity to do so, learn about local politics and what your new community cares about.

Whether you choose to make this new city your home or not — you’ll be living there for the better part of four to five years. Learn to be a better citizen of every community you have the opportunity to reside in.