12 Common Idioms From the Bible

12 Common Idioms From the Bible

Like Shakespeare, the Bible affects our language more than we realize

1333
12 Common Idioms From the Bible

Many recognize the Bible as the basis of Christianity and its teachings. However, few may realize that the Bible is also a major contributor to both written and spoken language. Here are just a few common idioms thought to originate from the Bible.

1. The blind leading the blind.

"Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." Matthew 15:14 KJV

2. By the skin of your teeth.

"I am nothing but skin and bones; I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth." Job 19:20 NIV

3. Nothing but skin and bones.

Also Job 19:20

4. Broken heart.

"The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." Psalm 34:18 KJV

5. Eat, drink, and be merry.

"Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15 KJV

6. Put words in someone’s mouth.

"And come to the king, and speak on this manner unto him. So Joab put the words in her mouth." 2 Samuel 14:3 KJV

7. The root of the matter.

"But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me?" Job 19:28 KJV

8. See eye to eye.

"Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion." Isaiah 52:8 KJV

9. Twinkling of an eye.

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed." 1 Corinthians 15:52 KJV

10. Wit’s end.

"They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end." Psalm 107:27 KJV

11. Wolves in sheep’s clothing.

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Matthew 7:15 KJV

12. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

"And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand." Matthew 12:25 KJV

The next time you use one of these common phrases, remember its true origin and how it was first used.