Awkward Moments of a Future SLP

Awkward Moments of a Future SLP

Speech-Language Pathology and all that awkard stuff

340
Awkward Moments of a Future SLP
Hannah Dmyterko

“What’s your major?”

This is the first awkward encounter I experienced with my major. When I say "I'm studying Communication Sciences and Disorders," I either get a blank stare, someone says, “Wow you must be brave”, or I hear about how hard my college experience will be. For the confused people- I’m sorry, because there is no way I’m going to be able to give you a decent explanation when you have that clueless look on your face. Although it’s pretty entertaining to think about, to those that think I’m one brave soul, no, I’m not a Communications major. Thanks for having confidence in me, though. And yes, my major is not easy, but it’s going to be worth it.

Doing phonetics homework in the Union

Studying sounds is pretty interesting and harmless until you have homework to finish up last minute in the Union, and everyone is looking at you as you repeat words over and over- slowing down to listen to the sounds of the vowels or putting stress on different parts of the word. Talk about awkward. Yes, I speak English fluently. No, phonetics isn’t hieroglyphics. I didn’t care about the place of articulation either before this class. Just roll with it.

Buying clinic clothes from thrift stores

Dear Client and Clinician,

I promise my house doesn’t smell like this. I know I don’t smell bad; I just don’t smell good, and there is not enough laundry detergent in the world to take away this interesting smell from my clothes. See how awkward this is?

Sincerely,

Your observer

Correcting other people’s speech

When your roommate brings friends over, and you correct their speech: awkward. I’m sorry, I forgot I don’t know you. When I’m being trained to pay attention to speech, I can’t help but do it.

I hate my major

Do I really have to do another case study? If I hear the words "syntax' or "morphology" again, I swear I’m dropping out. Why do we have to go on to graduate school? I’m paying thousands of dollars for this? Awkward.

Getting queasy during class

For some reason talking about fluid from your brain coming out your nose and tasting salty after a head injury doesn’t sit well with me after lunch. Weird how that works. Please just make sure I don’t hit my mouth as I faint. Teeth are important.

When others don’t use “people first” language

A boy with Autism is NOT an Autistic boy. He is so much more than his disability. First and foremost, people that have a disability are PEOPLE. Their disability does not define who they are as a person. When my university’s department first presented “people first” language to me, I thought they might be getting offended a little too easily. After interacting with these kids and with these people, I understand it. Their hearts are captivated with so much more than their disability, and yours should be too. So when I ask you to use people-first language, I pray that the awkwardness of my request resonates enough for you to actually do so.

Transcribing during church

I really am paying attention, but how cool is it that the person next to me can’t read my notes? Imagine how awkward they feel, thinking that I know some sort of Jesus-language that they don’t.

Asking people to turn down the music in the car

There’s nothing similar to the authentic awkwardness when asking people to turn down the music, so that they might spare your ears from any damage. Enough said.

Parents asking you to diagnose their children

Actually, I’m not capable of doing that. I’m just a student. This is really awkward.

Vestibulocochlear. Anosmia. Trigeminal. Yes, Professor, I know what those mean...

I’m pretty positive I’ve perfected the confident-face look, and I just let the awkwardness soak up internally.

I love my major

Aside from the small, awkward moments that make my major unique, I would not want to be doing anything else with my life. There is a giant need for advocacy for those with disabilities. It would be my greatest honor to not only speak up for those people, but to help them gain independency to speak for themselves.