11 Wise Gabriel Garcia Marquez Quotes

11 Wise Gabriel Garcia Marquez Quotes

"Life is not what one lived, but rather what one remembers, and how it is remembered to tell the tale."
336

With masterpieces such as Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez has revealed himself to be one of the best Latin American writers of recent times. His works of magical realism and suffering and love both inspire and enlighten readers to new ways of thinking about the world.

1. "Life is not what one lived, but rather what one remembers, and how it is remembered to tell the tale."

2. "He was still too young to know that the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past.”

3. "Tell him yes. Even if you are dying of fear, even if you are sorry later, because whatever you do, you will be sorry all the rest of your life if you say no.”

4. “Age has no reality except in the physical world. The essence of a human being is resistant to the passage of time. Our inner lives are eternal, which is to say that our spirits remain as youthful and vigorous as when we were in full bloom. Think of love as a state of grace, not the means to anything, but the alpha and omega. An end in itself.”

5. “The adolescents of my generation, greedy for life, forgot in body and soul about their hopes for the future until reality taught them that tomorrow was not what they had dreamed, and they discovered nostalgia."

6. “Take advantage of it now, while you are young, and suffer all you can, because these things don't last your whole life.”

7. "Then the writing became so fluid that I sometimes felt as if I were writing for the sheer pleasure of telling a story, which may be the human condition that most resembles levitation.”

8. "One never quite stops believing, some doubt remains forever."

9. "When I stand and contemplate my fate and see the path along which you have led me, I reach my end, for artless I surrendered to one who is my undoing and my end.”

10. "Justice limps along, but gets there all the same.”

11. "The heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and [that] thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past."