11 Ways to Maintain a Happy, Healthy Roomie Relationship

Try to be the best roomie for your roomie

38
Odyssey

Probably the hardest part of your first year of college will be adjusting to living in a tiny place with a stranger you just met. This isn't a sibling that you can get into little spats with and then be fine, you actually have to be respectful of their belongings. To do that, here are eleven basic rules to make sure you're being the best darn roomie you can be!

1. Know what you can and cannot touch.

Food is definitely one that's touchy, we're all broke and the food our parents buy for us is like gold. So please don't touch it unless given special permission. To stay on the safe side I would ask every time before eating something. Another one is clothes, nobody wants their favorite crop top going out on a Thursday night never to be seen again. And this one is huge, at least for me, makeup and makeup products. All girls know that it isn't cheap and well, it just isn't sanitary. Makeup remover is almost as important as the makeup itself so don't take your roommates unless she says you can.

2. Even if they allow you to eat some of their things, don't take the last of something.

Even if you do have special permission, please try to resist from eating the last cosmic brownie. It's just rude to take the last of something, especially if you leave the empty box, definitely not cool.

3. Be courteous of their sleeping routine.

Whether you'd prefer to stay up all night and sleep all day or vice versa, politely do what you need to do while your roommate sleeps. If you like 9 am classes, be sure to get ready with just a desk lamp or go in the bathroom to do your hair and makeup. If you'd rather stay up all night you should do the same. Try to keep the TV or music to a reasonable volume and try to avoid having a bunch of people in the room.

4. Do not move your boyfriend/girlfriend into the room without asking.

The dorms are about the size of a shoe box, it's hardly comfortable with just the two of you, there is no room for another body to live there full time. This also leads to your roommate feeling like they're constantly third wheeling or just plain being uncomfortable with constantly hearing kissing. (ew) You may not realize it but every little thing is made uncomfortable for your roommate such as getting changed or coming back from the shower.

5. Don't forget that it isn't just your room.

It's fine to want to coordinate decorations with your roommate but if he/she doesn't like it, they don't need to do what you want them to on their side.

6. Don't turn to social media with your problems.

If you have an issue with something your roommate did or said, confront them about it in person. Or if you're shy or don't feel comfortable, text them. But, putting out their publicly that you don't like what they did before even trying to solve the problem first is only going to lead to bigger issues.

7. COMMUNICATE.

This cannot be stressed enough. Communication is the only way any relationship, with anyone will ever work. So, communicate, communicate, communicate!

8. No lying.

Once one lie is told, the whole thing will fall apart. Once you lose trust in the person you are living with your life becomes ten times harder. You never know if your belongings are safe when you aren't in the room and you will always accuse them of anything being not how they should be because well, how could you ever believe what they're saying to you.

9. You don't need to be best friends but try to remain friendly.

Face it, your bed is two feet from this person. It's going to make life a lot harder if you hate each other. But, if you do try not to be rude to one another. It isn't being fake, it's just being polite.

10. Try to meet in the middle.

If one of you sweats like crazy and the other is always freezing, try to meet in the middle. It isn't fair to always have someone cold or hot. It should be a comfortable place for the both of you.

11. If you break/lose something of theirs, own up to it.

Nobody of their right minds would break something of their roommates for no reason. So, this means whatever happens was most likely an accident! I can promise you that your roommate won't be upset if you tell them upright what happened and offer to replace it. Half the time if you just admit to what you did they'll say it's not a big deal and move on, without you having to replace it! But, if you lie and try to hide it this will only make you roommate not trust you.