6 Ways to Handle The Stresses Of Earning Your Degree From Your Childhood Bedroom

For those of you stuck at home and trying to figure out college, these tips are for you.

61
computer

With most people getting sent home for the holidays from their Universities, or if you never left your house in the fall, it can be really hard to study with purpose when you're stuck in your childhood home. Especially with e-learning, online lectures and labs, and countless Zoom meetings, it just doesn't feel like we are learning anymore. But don't stress! I have some helpful tips to get you back into shape for finals and to not lose sight of your end goal - even though you are stuck at home.

1. Zoom Burnout? Set time aside to get away from your computer.

One of the most important things to reduce stress is to remove yourself from your computer screen and take a break. I suggest doing something you love that does not involve a computer like painting, drawing, cooking, or reading for at least an hour each day. This should hopefully break up your day and not make it seem like wasted hours sitting on Zoom.

2. Take a walk! Get some exercise!

Don't forget to move! While we are glued to our screens and sitting at our desks, on our beds, or on the floor all day, we forget to make time for physical exercise. It also doesn't have to be exhausting. Just do something, like a walk around your neighborhood, to clear your thoughts and move your muscles.

3. Get ready for your day.

This tip might seem pointless because most of us can easily roll out of bed and hop onto our computers. But studies have shown that if you take time for yourself before your day starts to get ready, eat something, and greet the day positively, you are more productive and feel less stressed.

4. Schedule Breaks.

This tip goes along with the first two, but it is very important to schedule breaks within your day. Otherwise, they start to blend together and the next thing you know you've missed four assignments and its already Thursday! Breaks help you keep on schedule and allow your mind a quick relaxing session before you go expand it with more learning.

5. Study! But actually study. 

This tip is important for people who feel like they are not learning in their online classes. Still study like it is in-person! I'm talking make your own Quizlet and actually practice it instead of using someone else's for the test. This way you actually memorize the information and won't forget it all the second you finish your exam.

6. Set Reminders.

This last tip is for those of you who feel like you're struggling to remember why you started in the first place. Earning your degree from home can be distracting from the motivations that lead you to purse it in the beginning. I like to set reminders on my phone or have sticky notes that I leave around my desk to remind myself of why and to rekindle that motivation.

I hope these tips help you out! Just remember to stay focused on your end goal and not lose sight of why you started. Stay healthy and less stressed, and good luck on finals!