From Surviving To Thriving: 11 Steps For Excelling At School

I know it sucks, but you just need to suck it up and study.
113

'Twas the start of midterms, and all through campus, students were losing their minds. It's the lovely time of the year where so many students begin to realize how truly screwed they are. Yeah... maybe you should've passed on that game of beer pong and stayed home to study, huh? Now, I could sit here and throw some more passive aggressive comments at my peers to let them know how much they suck, but that's not productive. I've been there before and still stumble there every now and again. Not playing beer pong, but procrastinating. There have been several nights where I have chosen to watch Netflix and eat pizza rather than work on that one project or study for that exam. Now, I'm no straight-A student like my sisters, but I've made strides in my grades, and I felt that I should share some tips that helped me pull my act together. Who knows, it might just help you with midterm and finals season.

1. Recognize your weak areas

Now you don't need to be as harsh on yourself as this GIF, but it's important to recognize where you fall short. Is it class attendance? Study habits? Are you not understanding the material? You need to ask yourself these questions so that you can move forward.

2. Get some help

For all of us procrastinators, there are always those people who just have their shit together. Those people who don't even have to try and they're just shooting a 4.0. There are tutoring options across campus, so swallow your pride instead of that bottle of vodka on your desk and get some help!

3. Plan out your week

Your professors passed out these strange things on the first day of classes called a syllabus. These mystical packets include class schedules and these include test dates and due dates for projects. I know your mind's probably blown, but stick with me.You can go through your syllabus and actually plan out your weeks when you have big due dates coming up so you're not scrambling at the end.

4. Get some friends

Group studying is a double-edged sword. On one side, you have the opportunity to get other opinions and access to someone else's knowledge that will help to add to your own. On the other hand... you might end up looking at puppy videos for 3 hours (true story). You need to find the people who will provide you with the first scenario and not the puppy videos.

5. Get to know your professors

Contrary to popular belief, professors aren't out to get you, and they aren't going to go all Pennywise The Clown on you and rip your arm off if you happen to ask them for help. It's okay to get help, and most professors will respect you more when they see that you are actually putting in the effort. They may even go easier on you... you never know.

6. GO TO CLASS!!!!!!

C'mon people... you're getting yourself into tens of thousands of dollars in debt, you might as well get your money worth. If you go to class, you'll have a better chance than someone who didn't go. And if you go, you might have Dave Franco hit on you.

7. Take notes and organize them

We've all told ourselves the most basic lie of school: "I'll remember it". If you're in a 300+ person lecture, drowning out what your teacher is saying in favor of texting your friend about how much this class sucks, you're not going to remember it unless you write it down! That brings me to my next point, which is...

8. Get off your phone!

Don't even lie, we all do it. I know big lectures that go for an hour and a half can be really boring, and checking your phone every now and again isn't that big of a deal, but when you spend the whole time watching Netflix and scrolling through Facebook, that's where it becomes problematic. You can look every now and again, but make sure you're staying focused on the big picture.

9. Go to review sessions

Back to what I said before with your professors. They aren't out to get you and are willing to help if you put the effort in. Review sessions are a great way to understand things you may have been confused on before. Don't be afraid to go!

10. Put down the solo cup and study!

11. Believe in yourself

You are epic! You are smart! You can do this!

I know that school can be intimidating and even a little scary, but you need to believe that you can do it! If you weren't up to the task, your university would not have accepted you! You do have to put the effort in, and of course, it can get exhausting. But I have faith in every one of you that you can do it! Keep it classy my guys, gals, and non-binary pals!