11 Ways To Deal With Midterm Stress

11 Ways To Deal With Midterm Stress

Quick fixes to help you make it through all your projects and exams.

42
11 Ways To Deal With Midterm Stress
Unsplash

As fall break rolls around and everyone is in the middle of midterm, it's important that you try to take care of yourself even though you are super stressed. Here are 11 quick ways that you can take a breather and prevent yourself from getting too stressed out:

1. Take a walk.

Stop what you're doing, stand up, and go outside. Take 10-15 minutes to walk around campus, get some fresh air, and enjoy the fall weather. If you continue to stare blankly at your laptop screen, you aren't going to be productive. Walk around listening to music and give yourself a few minutes to clear your head so that when you sit back down, you can focus.

2. Get a cup of coffee.

Whether you are up early in the morning for last-minute cramming or it's 11 p.m. and you're desperately trying to stay awake, coffee is going to help. Either take this opportunity to make your favorite K-cup or pop into the nearest coffee shop and consume caffeine until your eyes stay open.

3. Call your mom.

If you just really need to complain about your workload for the hundredth time, call your mom. She probably wants to hear from you anyways. Plus, who else is going to tell you that you're just being dramatic and that you will be fine? She isn't going to wallow with you; your mom will tell you to get yourself together and get back to studying.

4. Call a friend.

Now if you do want someone to complain with you, a friend or classmate is perfect. Not only can you talk about your feelings, but learning that another person is just as stressed as you helps you feel a little better. Once you are done complaining, quiz each other.

5. Take a nap.

Don't sleep for six hours but if you are no longer being productive take a 15-20 minute nap. Rest will help you be more productive and focused.

6. Eat a snack.

Eating triggers a neurological response in the brain that actually calms you down. It is also a distraction from what you are stressing about. Take five minutes and chow down on an easy (and preferably healthy) snack.

7. Watch ONE episode of your favorite show.

If you've been cranking out papers and flipping through textbooks all day, reward yourself with an episode of whatever show you're currently hooked on. Just make sure you don't end up binging a whole season...

8. Call your mom again.

I know you just called her like an hour ago but call her again. I promise it will help.

9. Take a bath.

Take an hour break in the evening to put on a facemask, a hair mask, play calming music, and try not to fall asleep in the bathtub. If you don't have the time for a bath, even a hot shower will help you relax.

10. Study with your friends.

Although this might not be the most efficient way to study, being with other people holds you accountable for the work you need to complete. There will always be someone there to yell at you to get off your phone and study. Friends are also great stress relief and you can crack jokes about how much your lives suck.

11. Call your mom one last time.

No one is judging you.

There are 11 things to try for a study break. The next time you need a breather, consider trying one (or more) of them!