11 Truths Northern Kentucky Natives Share

You always remember the hustle and bustle of your hometown.

256
Ynsalh

Shouldn't we be called "Southern Ohio" instead? Life as a Northern Kentucky native comes with so many odd benefits. You can live a small-town life in the backyard of a major city. Your accent doesn't reflect your environment. Our bordering river could possibly poison the entire population...and don't even get me started about the Cincinnati Reds. No matter where we go, NKY is in our blood. So, what do these natives have in common? Well, here are a few things that make our area uniquely loveable.

1. Red vs. Blue

I'm not talking about the color wheel, people. The two titans of NCAA Basketball constantly force our area into complete chaos during March Madness. So, do you cheer for UK Blue or Cardinal Red?

2. Chung Kiwha Korean BBQ and Sushi

We don't quite know what happens in this restaurant, but we all doubt that it involves cuisine.

3. Claiming Ohio Teams as Our Own

Well, most of us are Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati Bengals fans, but our lovely duo seems to be cursed. When (if ever) we get a play-off win, we'll talk.

4. Goetta

These smoldering patties grace many of our breakfast plates. Once again, thanks Cincinnati!

5. The Boone County Fair

The combination of Holy Donuts and Ferris Wheels mark the beginning of August for most Northern Kentucky residents.

6. The Florence Fundome

Seriously, who didn't have/attend a birthday bash at this place? Rollerskating for all ages (and plenty of bruises to show for it). We all love the Chicken Dance!

7. United Dairy Farmers

From the donuts to the malts, UDF can't be matched. Read my last article to learn why I absolutely love this NKY gem.

8. Gold Star Chili vs. Skyline Chili

This battle also splits NKY natives in half. No matter what restaurant you side with, we can all agree that Cincinnati-style chili is the best!

9. "Florence Y'all"

When meeting new people, your first answer to the question "Where are you from?" is initially just the "Greater Cincinnati Area". If your new acquaintance is clueless to this statement, your next response involves the gaudy (yet iconic), red-and-white water tower that says "Florence Y'all".

10. Avoiding the Ohio River

Do you dare swim in the murky water? You can find almost anything in this river. Seriously. The fish die from shock the very moment they touch clean water. Just saying.

11. The Rabbit Hash General Store

In February 2016, this historic building was leveled by a heart-breaking fire. However, the landmark's demise simply tested and later confirmed our area's unbreakable bond.

We may pack and move, but Northern Kentucky's quirkiness will always be home.

“How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.” -William Faulkner