As we draw near to the end of the school year, my mind begins to reflect over the path so far. What have I learned? How am I different?
Like almost everyone else, I came into this particular school year with definite expectations. A lot was different for me this time around, from being an upperclassman to living on campus, or even serving as one of the leaders in some of the vocal groups I'm a part of. To write about all the unexpected happenings God has brought my way would take way to long to write! But there were a few expectations that...well, haven't occurred.
1. Ordering a pizza at midnight in my dorm
Although my love for pizza will never subside, my love for a good night's sleep has only increased since moving on campus.
2. Taking an unscheduled road trip with a bunch of buddies
It's just one of those things that would be a blast if you're buddies weren't all fine arts people with schedules just as ridiculous as your own.
3. Asking a girl out to homecoming
This one I really thought would happen this year and it would have been a first! However, when the weekend rolled around, I found myself engaged in an involuntary weight loss program due to vomiting and diarrhea. That was fun.
4. Discovering the identity of "Q" on my own
If you don't know the story, you never will!
5. Choreographing a sword fight with a friend and then impromptu performing it in Rose Window Plaza
Let's face it, that would have been awesome! If only I had been more careful in trying to sneak my sabers into my dorm...
6. Injuring myself (accidentally, of course) onstage in a spectacular fashion
As much as I've been seriously hurt in the past, I have yet to suffer a heroic injury of some kind in front of others.
7. Getting paid for publishing some sort of article or short in a legitimate magazine
Instead, I find myself working for free for this publication called "Odyssey." What am I doing with my life?
8. Pranking the neighboring college punks
Not that they didn't deserve it, but priorities such as rehearsal, homework, and actually forging legitimate friendships somehow took precedence.
9. Learning my Russian buddy's middle name
My money's on "Dave", but I still can't be sure.
10. NOT lip-syncing an entire jazz vocal concert due to losing my voice
Or NOT going on 6 weeks of vocal rest that one time. Yeah.
11. Getting mugged late at night while walking around campus
OK, not complaining here. Just legitimately worried this might happen! (Anyone else who's been walking around at 11 pm knows what I mean...)