11 Things That I Thought Would Happen This Year, But Didn't

11. Getting mugged late at night while walking around campus

60
Jonathan Pettyjohn

As we draw near to the end of the school year, my mind begins to reflect over the path so far. What have I learned? How am I different?

Like almost everyone else, I came into this particular school year with definite expectations. A lot was different for me this time around, from being an upperclassman to living on campus, or even serving as one of the leaders in some of the vocal groups I'm a part of. To write about all the unexpected happenings God has brought my way would take way to long to write! But there were a few expectations that...well, haven't occurred.

1. Ordering a pizza at midnight in my dorm

Although my love for pizza will never subside, my love for a good night's sleep has only increased since moving on campus.

2. Taking an unscheduled road trip with a bunch of buddies

It's just one of those things that would be a blast if you're buddies weren't all fine arts people with schedules just as ridiculous as your own.

3. Asking a girl out to homecoming

This one I really thought would happen this year and it would have been a first! However, when the weekend rolled around, I found myself engaged in an involuntary weight loss program due to vomiting and diarrhea. That was fun.

4. Discovering the identity of "Q" on my own

If you don't know the story, you never will!

5. Choreographing a sword fight with a friend and then impromptu performing it in Rose Window Plaza

Let's face it, that would have been awesome! If only I had been more careful in trying to sneak my sabers into my dorm...

6. Injuring myself (accidentally, of course) onstage in a spectacular fashion

As much as I've been seriously hurt in the past, I have yet to suffer a heroic injury of some kind in front of others.

7. Getting paid for publishing some sort of article or short in a legitimate magazine

Instead, I find myself working for free for this publication called "Odyssey." What am I doing with my life?

8. Pranking the neighboring college punks

Not that they didn't deserve it, but priorities such as rehearsal, homework, and actually forging legitimate friendships somehow took precedence.

9. Learning my Russian buddy's middle name

My money's on "Dave", but I still can't be sure.

10. NOT lip-syncing an entire jazz vocal concert due to losing my voice

Or NOT going on 6 weeks of vocal rest that one time. Yeah.

OK, not complaining here. Just legitimately worried this might happen! (Anyone else who's been walking around at 11 pm knows what I mean...)