11 Things I Wish I Could Tell My Brother Upon Graduation

I wish you were here to see it.

404

My oldest brother died four years ago, right as I started college. It was a time in my life where he was really supporting and pushing me. He wanted me to go to school and do well, and I'm pretty sure if I didn't he would have kicked my ass. As I'm graduating with my Bachelor's of Social Work, there are a lot of things that have happened that he wasn't there to see. If he were here, these are the highlights I'd give him of the last four years.

1. I started out as an education major, and I was planning on teaching high school English. I was in the program and was accepted into the College of Education, I'd taken some of my methods courses, and I realized the program wasn't for me. Because of you, I realized my passion lied with mental health awareness and becoming an advocate and switched my major to Social Work.

2. I was a Resident Mentor on campus for incoming freshman. Meaning, I'd live on a freshman floor and be a resource for them as they transitioned into college. However, I became friends and hung around with some people who weren't right for me, and I made the wrong decisions and lost the job. Not my proudest moment, but it is something I'm able to look back on and understand what I did wrong, and learn from it.

3. In 2016, the Cubs won the World Series. I know right? I never thought it'd happen either.

4. I knew you were right when you told me to stay away from boys. But I didn't listen. I got myself in some trouble, but just know I'm in a much better place now.

5. I got involved in a lot on campus. I ran a club for a year, and then I helped run another one for a year. I was on two different school committees and moved up to Editor in Chief with Odyssey.

6. I stopped eating Ramen so much, thank god.

7. I now have 3 tattoos and 13 piercings. I know, they're not your favorite. No, I don't look like swiss cheese yet.

8. I added three minors, Women's and Gender Studies, Psychology and Education. No, WGS is not made up, it's a real thing.

9. I'm sure a lot of celebrities you knew about have passed away, 2016 was a bad year.

10. I started my internship with the homeless and accepted a position at the agency a month and a half in.

11. I'm walking in graduation in 9 days. We did it.