11 Things I Want to See in 'Arrow' Season 5

If Season 5 wants to be even better than past seasons, this is what they will have to do

72
Yibada

Season four of "Arrow" had a lot of good and bad to it. While I do think that the first half of Season four was better than the second half, as a whole I liked Season 4 better than some of the past seasons, especially season 3. However, I do feel that there are things that need to either be more explored, added or stopped completely. With that being said, these are 11 things that I want to see in "Arrow" Season 5:

[Warning: Spoilers for "Arrow" seasons one-five ahead]

1. More Dyla and Baby Sara family moments

We have gotten a few of those in the past two years that John Diggle, Lyla, and baby Sara have been a family. We got to see a little more of Diggle's back story this season, however I would love for viewers to have more family moments together. David Ramsey and Audrey Marie Anderson have great chemistry together and whenever there is a moment with Baby Sara it is always so sweet and precious. While it is of course, Oliver Queen's show, John Diggle is not only one of the fan favorites, but a character I love to see more of on a individual basis rather than just working with Team Arrow (though that is great too). John Diggle is a key member of Team Arrow and I love to be able to see him not only working out in the field, but also show more of his off time when he is not directly working to protect the city. The Diggle family is great and I would love to see more of it in this upcoming season.

2. Audrey Marie Anderson cast as a regular

Lyla Michaels (Audrey Marie Anderson) has been in the show making guest appearances as Argus worker turned Boss and ex-wife turned wife again to John Diggle (not to mention parent of Baby Sara Diggle). While I do feel as the seasons have gone on we have seen more and more of her, the CW and "Arrow" executives still have yet to officially make her a regular cast member on the show. Audrey is extremely talented in the role of Lyla and as the seasons have gone on she has gotten more of a storyline besides being John's wife and former soldier. She has had a child, been seen working in and out of field at Argus and occasionally on Team Arrow, and in more recent news she has become the head of Argus and the wife of a soldier once again. This makes great material for Lyla in Season five and I hope that Audrey will be added as a regular so we can see it.

3. Donna Smoak, but only a few episodes

Don't get me wrong, I love Charlotte Ross and really enjoy Donna Smoak, Felicity's joyful and fun-loving mother. However, this season we got a lot more Donna Smoak and while I thought I would have enjoyed that, I felt like I really liked Donna, but in smaller doses. Again I love Charlotte and Donna, however I just feel that Donna Smoak's character is kind of like chocolate. Once in a while it is great, but all the time and in large dosages, it can be harmful. I feel Donna should be a special treat that we get to see a few times in the show. I think that if Olicity ever has kids they should have Donna move to Star City full time, to maybe help out with Olicity kid(s). However, till that day comes, I think that if they do decide to bring Donna back next season, which I hope they do, they do not have her in too many episodes.

4. No more propping up other shows

For the past few years "Arrow" has been being used to help launch a few other spin-offs that the CW has picked up in Superhero show category like "Legends of Tomorrow" and "The Flash." And with "Supergirl" moving from CBS to the CW, I am really hoping that "Arrow" is not used to help launch or prop up other shows or characters in other CW/DC shows. The issue with this is that it takes up too much time in "Arrow" that could be used to help develop the stories and characters in "Arrow," rather than other characters. Having Barry Allen be introduced to help Oliver, make a connection with Felicity, as well as discover the Green "Arrow" secret. However, when using "Arrow" this year as well as the Flash to help introduce characters on "Legends of Tomorrow," the storyline took too much out of "Arrow" and "The Flash."It also helped introduce a mostly disliked "Arrow" storyline into the plot, and the characters and their backstories could have been possibly introduced in one episode instead of about two "The Flash" episodes and two "Arrow" and crossovers. In "Legends of Tomorrow" (spoiler alert), the characters did not even end up staying on for another season of the show, so using other CW shows, especially "Arrow," to prop up other TV shows and characters is getting old and overused fast. "Arrow" has to be "Arrow," and only for "Arrow" next season, not thrown aside or used to help get other CW shows off the ground.

5. Honor the dead, but not too much

It is no secret that I was never a fan of Black Canary or Laurel Lance. The only time I ever really liked the Canary was when Sara Lance was in the black leather suit. However, now that Laurel has died, it is to be expected that she will be talked about and remembered. However after she died they seemed to mention Laurel mostly every episode and giving her, in my opinion, not very deserving praise. Sara was the Canary way longer than Laurel, and while we did get to see Laurel train and contribute to the team somewhat, I do not feel they need to constantly act like Laurel was this hopeful symbol for years when she only became the Black Canary in Season 3. It has been revealed that in Season 5 a statue will be made to honor Black Canary. This is an issue I also had with Season 4 in how they even changed the cities name to honor Ray Palmer, when all he really did is help turn Queen Consolidated into Palmer Tech and was The Atom (however again not for very long and people did not know his secret identity outside of Team Arrow and Team Flash). There have been many other people in Oliver Queen's life that have died that were not mentioned as much or at least honored in the same way. Though they could still be honored or honored more than before in later seasons, It just does not seem as fair that certain deaths were honored more than others or not at all, when they do not feel as deserved. While I understand Laurel should be honored in some way, I do not know if a statue or constant over-praising of her character is the way to do so. Using her death to help be more alert about who Team "Arrow" trusts or possibly naming something that could help the people of Star City (especially now) like a hospital would make a lot more sense than a statue.

6. Felicity training

While we have seen small sprinkles of this idea in Season 1 and 2 and even some proof of skills in the later seasons (when need be), something I have been wanting for so long for "Arrow" to do is to see more training with Felicity. While Roy, Laurel, and Thea were seen to have at least one episode of training to a full arc of learning to fight, Felicity has only had small scenes of training. John Diggle, Sara Lance and Oliver Queen had years of training in their past whether it be in military, League of Assassins, or on a Island for 5 years (as well as other countries). Felicity seems to be the one with the least amount of training seen and while I do not think she needs a whole arc of fighting as most of the work she does for Team Arrow is tech and computer hacking related, with everything she has been through in past years, especially with getting kidnapped and shot all in the same "Arrow" holiday episode, I feel that being able to see Felicity have more self defense training is not only important for "Arrow," but important continuity for Felicity's character and just makes perfect sense.

7. More interesting Flashbacks

Ever since Season 3, the flashbacks to Oliver's 5 years away have decreased in quality and have become less and less intriguing. While Season 1 and 2 featured flashbacks that had characters that viewers enjoyed watching and such a polar opposite Oliver's that it was entertaining to see the contrast between present and past Oliver, that when Season 3 and then 4 rolled around Oliver was starting to become more and more like present day Oliver and with less intriguing stories to tell. While I enjoyed a few things with the Hong Kong flashbacks in Season 3, the Season 4 flashbacks only really were good during the Constantine episode as it was fun to watch Oliver and Constantine working together. Season 4 in terms of flashbacks really did not bring anything that exciting to help the audience be invested. By the end of the season I was mostly fast forwarding the Flashbacks as nothing really had be invested in them. With the fact that we are most likely getting to find out how Oliver became a Bratva captain and his time in Russia, many "Arrow" fans have high hopes for this storyline and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

8. Felicity Dealing With Havenrock

In 4x21, we saw Felicity have to make a awful choice after she had to redirect a missile that Damien Darhk launched but while saving millions, she ended up launching at the town of Havenrock which resulted in thousands of deaths. While in 4x22 we saw tiny of hints of the sorrow that this was causing Felicity, I feel that they really need to show her emotions when dealing with Havenrock and her emotional state regarding her impossible decision. While I do not need it to go on for an entire season, I would like at least a few episodes were we do have an arc of Felicity dealing with the emotions and feelings she is having regarding Havenrock.

9. Less Mask

One of the things that has been worrying me about this upcoming season is hearing about all the new vigilantes that there will be on the show. Rick Gonzalez will be portraying a vigilante called "Wild Dog," Madison McLaughlin will be portraying Evelyn Sharp ( who was seen in Season four as a copycat Black Canary for one episode) and a vigilante named Artemis, new district Attorney and Vigilante, Adrian Chase, who is called Vigilante, will be played by John Segarra, etc. As well as this the other members of the team such as Felicity Smoak, Oliver Queen, Thea Queen, John Diggle and newly appointed team member Curtis Holt (who was introduced last season) as Mr. Terrific. With so many people on the team it is bound to get crowded and I feel "Arrow" is at it's best when they stick with less team members on the team. While I would never want it to go back to just Oliver and Diggle or just Oliver or anything like that, I feel that when they stick with only four or five people on the team at the most, the more they are able to develop the original characters while also helping to develop new ones as well, but not taking too much time away from other characters or storylines. And while I do love Thea as Speedy and expect to love Curtis on the team too, I have to say this leads into my next point...

10. OTA

"Arrow" has had a various cast of characters throughout the years. Many people have come and gone from Team Arrow, but I feel that the core three of the group are OTA or the original three that I feel once that team was established really helped "Arrow" get off the ground as a show. While I do not want or expect "Arrow" to just go back to it being only Oliver, Dig and Felicity on the team because I do enjoy seeing people like Thea, Curtis and other people occasionally who come back to help or lend a helping hand once in a while like Roy or Mari (aka Vixen), I want "Arrow" to really try to focus it's attention more on the original three and maybe have them work on more missions together. While we did get one or two episodes this season that focused more on OTA and them fighting together as Team "Arrow," I really hope we get more of that or at least more scenes of them working together in the upcoming season. "Arrow" really shines when they go back to their OTA roots and I hope they know that and use it to their advantage.

11. Olicity

One of my biggest issues with "Arrow" last year was the contrast to how they wrote Olicity (the relationship between Felicity and Oliver) in the first half of Season 4 of "Arrow" compared to the second half. In the first half, Olicity was mostly mature.They talked about things, Oliver was joking and smiling a lot more, and honestly it gave a lot of Olicity fans something to look forward to along with the other storylines of the show. However, once the drastic secret kid storyline came about, things became a mess and once 4x15 came to be, Olicity was finished...at least for now. I am somewhat of an optimist, but also like many other people, I can tell when a ship is going to be endgame in a TV show or movie franchise or book, etc. I am 100% sure that Olicity is not going anywhere. What I want for Season five is for them to get back together...gradually. I do not need them to get back together in the first or second episode, but I do not want to have to wait an entire year or worse more than one season to have them get back together. I feel while they both need to work on themselves as individuals and issues they have to deal with on a singular basis before becoming a couple again, I do want us to see them work their way back to each other.I also need to be shown, not just told, that Oliver has changed and is ready to be more honest with Felicity. I don't know how exactly, but I do know, that if "Arrow" really wants to be better than before, then they have to bring Olicity back together. Having Olicity was a great treat for "Arrow" and Olicity Fans, so by getting them back together it could not only help boost fan positivity, but also cause "Arrow" to be an even better show than before.