11 Things The Gilmore Girls Taught Me

11 Things The Gilmore Girls Taught Me

About life and other things
10

In the early 2000s, the world was introduced to the Gilmore Girls. The life of Lorelai and Rory took the world by storm and won over a dozen awards. A mother and daughter relationship that most girls envy and most moms aim for. The show is full of words of wisdom intertwined with quirky anecdotes dealing with real life situations. This fast talking, coffee drinking and adventure seeking duo taught me a lot, so keep up.

1. Being a bookworm is okay.

Most bookworms are okay with being bookworms. In school, sometimes being a bookworm is frowned upon. Rory Gilmore would just throw the book at that idea, but she’s too busy reading it.

2. Not all families are the same.

Some families consist of moms and dads while some only consist of moms or dads. It’s okay to not have that family unit most people aim for. It doesn’t mean you’re loved any more or less.

3. Money doesn’t make everything right.

Lorelai had the world at her feet and enough money to entertain her. She realized early on that money could change people, but not usually for the better. She worked her way up from the bottom as a single mother helping an inn and eventually went on to run her own inn with her best friend.

4. Small towns have their charm.

Stars Hollow is literally perfect in every way. Full of bright characters and street names, it’s pretty similar to every small town in America. Everything shuts down at 10pm and church takes up most Sundays. Sound familiar?

5. Everyone knows a “Kirk”.

He’s usually the last invited to every event, but is always there. He is socially awkward, but knows it and it makes it that much more awkward. You can’t help but love him. He’s like the goofy kid next door that never made it out of his awkward teenage stage. Also, he's a master of all trades.

6. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.

For real. There is nothing like a fresh cup of good coffee. Or a few hours old coffee. Even left over coffee in the pot from yesterday is good. Today’s world runs on coffee and the Gilmores knew that in 2000.

7. Honesty is the best policy.

There were very few lies told throughout the show. Exaggerations of truth, maybe even lies by omission, but actual bold face lies were rare. Honesty was always pushed, regardless of what the situation was. Even Rory went to Lorelai when she was thinking of sex.

8. Making mistakes is a part of life.

While I never stole a boat or ruined a marriage like the infamous Rory Gilmore, I have made mistakes in my life. It’s okay and they happen. This show never encouraged making mistakes, but it let everyone know that mistakes happen and life goes on.

9. Love is messy.

This is a no brainer for most people, but still, it was a lesson learned. Just because you love someone doesn’t mean you need to be with that person. Lorelai and Christopher loved each other with every part of their beings, but watching them together was like watching a train crash happen.

10. Sometimes your worst enemy can be your best friend.

Sometimes the person we consider the enemy can actually be our biggest asset. Paris was Rory’s nemesis when she first arrived at Chilton. However, since they were both after the same thing, they realized they had a lot of things in common.

11. Life is an adventure; challenge it.

There was never a dull moment in the Gilmore world. Whether it was egging Jess’s car, starting fights at school dances or making an impromptu trip to Harvard, the Gilmores made the most out of every moment. They said yes to a lot of opportunities, but always knew when enough was enough. And no matter where they got in life, they always knew the way back home.