11 Things That WKU Students Know All Too Well

The Hill is a special place.

91
wku.edu

Living on the hill provides you with some one of a kind experiences that only true Hilltoppers know to be true. Without these 11 things, WKU wouldn't be as special as it is. Here are 11 things that all Hilltoppers know extremely too well:

1. The bus

If you don't grab onto something sturdy before the bus driver lets off the break you can guarantee that a fall is in the near future.

2. Dog food

No one really knows where the smell comes from but a rainy day on the hill is not complete without worms on the sidewalk and the smell of dog food in the air.

3. Cherry trees

When the cherry trees are in full bloom and the wind picks up, you suddenly feel as if snow is falling.

4. The round about

That darn round about just outside of campus is an essential link to GADS, the mall, and Griffs. We've all felt questionable about when it is our turn to go. Let's just face it.

5. Calf muscles

The hill is a free workout machine that shows zero mercy no matter what the temperature or how heavy your backpack is. Warning: Never try to talk on the phone while attempting to scale this mountain. Side effects may include shortness of breath, sweating, embarrassment, and uncontrollable panting.

6. Burrito Bowl's line

I'm not sure what it is but the fine students of WKU sure do love their rice in a bowl. No matter what time of day, you can bet that the line to this joint will wrap around the corner and extend as far as the eye can see.

8. Subway at Bates

I have yet to see a "No ice" sign posted on the drink machines in this restaurant. Ice is most definitely an endangered species within the walls of the Subway at Bates so if you ever do encounter it, consider yourself a chosen one.

9. Panda Express

If there is something that all WKU students have in common it is a love for the orange chicken from Panda Express. Every single day, ten minutes before they open, people flock to its doors. One might say that it looks like a Best Buy on Black Friday.

10. WKU App: Bus Arrival

We've all been that person who is running so fast to catch the bus that their backpack is bouncing off their back. You never want to see the "arriving in one minute" message when you're still eating your Chick-Fil-A.

11. Big Red

Nobody really knows what our mascot is but everybody loves him. We've probably all been asked by friends that attend different colleges what exactly a Hilltopper is. We don't have a specific answer but we have a whole lot of pride in being one.

I can't imagine being anything but a Hilltopper. The long food lines, extremely steep hill, and odd smells make WKU everything that it is. Others may not understand but to us it is home.