11 Things Restaurant Employees Want You to Know

There's a method to the madness, I promise

335
https://www.pexels.com/photo/blur-breakfast-chef-cooking-262978/

When I started my first restaurant job, I was amazed to the things I didn't know. Even more than that, I realized how much the customers didn't realize about how restaurants functioned.

1.There's always a reason for the wait time.

Even if you can't see it, there's a reason we put you on a wait. Whether the kitchen is running behind, or the servers are swamped, we put you on a wait because we can't properly serve you at the present moment. Even if there are empty tables, we wait to serve you until we know that you can have the great service you deserve.

2. A wait time of 15 minutes or less means nothing at all.

If the wait time is shorter than 15 minutes, you'll probably wait even less than that. 15 minutes just means that we need to set up a table, or give the servers a chance to catch up before we seat you, but you'll be seated in no time at all.

3. On the topic of wait times, I know exactly how long you've been waiting.

When you put your name on a wait list, the time you came in is also recorded to ensure we seat you within the correct time frame. This also means that when you come up to complain about how long you've been waiting, I know you're exaggerating. We'll seat you as soon as we can, I promise.

4. Yes, you do need a reservation.

For parties larger than 8, a reservation is required if you don't want a longer than thirty minutes, especially on the weekends. Large parties often seemed surprised when they have to wait an hour plus on a Saturday night. If you make a reservation in advance, we'll have a table and the proper staff ready for you upon arrival.

5. Changing your reservation is not a big deal, as long as you do it in advance.

From changing the number of people in your party to the actual reservation time, changing the reservation is not a problem on most nights. Just call us and let us know what's going on!

6. In this situation, being early is not always ideal.

While we can usually accommodate reservations that arrive early, if you arrive too early you might have to wait a few minutes before we seat you. The closer you can get to your scheduled time, the better.

7. Tables are assigned in a rotation order.

Like the wait list, there's always a reason for the table we seat you at. We follow a rotation to ensure each waiter receives an equal number of tables throughout the night, which is why we may seat you in a seemingly random pattern. That being said, we can accommodate for almost anything involving your seating as long as you let us know.

8. Minor holidays are busier than you think they are.

Our busiest day of the year is not Valentine's Day or even Christmas – but Mother's Day. If you want to avoid inflated wait times, make your reservations well in advance.

9. Tipping may not be mandatory, but it is expected.

Servers make less than minimum wage without tips, and have to tip out bussers for their help, even if you don't tip them in the first place. If you don't tip, the servers essentially lose money.

10. We can accommodate almost anything.

Whether it's allergies, disabilities, or even just picky eaters, we can accommodate to almost every need. As long as you let us know what you need, we'll take care of you.

11. The customer is not always right, but your happiness is our main priority.

No matter what, we want you to have a positive experience, and to come back again soon. Though we can't necessarily do everything for you, we will do all that we can to make you happy.