11 Things I Regret Not Doing In College

11 Things I Regret Not Doing In College

Things I Regret Not Doing In College

516
11 Things I Regret Not Doing In College
elitedaily.com

As a semi-fresh graduate, adulting is finally hitting me hard. The utter realization that I can’t go party every other weekend or go to “day drinks,” is highly depressing. It’s depressing because I’m finally realizing all the things I missed out on in my college years.

It took me until senior year to finally start letting loose and realizing that it was in fact okay to party and go out. Obviously, doing everything in a responsible manner was a given, but I regret not having as much fun as I could.

Throughout my college experience, I said no to parties and yes to “I have work the next morning,” and “gotta find my fourth internship.”

These things are great and all but I’m at the point in my life where the four internship haven’t been enough to land me my dream job and I am still working so much, doing about the same thing, and waking up at the same time. Internships and work were necessary for day-to-day living and career building. But the fact that I did those things and only those things bothers me now. It bothers me now because I’m looking for a stable career where I’m going to have to break my ass to make my place and then work my whole life to pay the bills and make my rent—hopefully, I’ll be able to do that with something I love. I’m trying to do all of that knowing that I missed out on so many college experiences, trying to build a better life for myself, when I should’ve just let loose and had fun when I had the chance.

Yes, you should work in college and yes, you should intern as much as you can. But if you can manage to have fun and do things I regret not doing, do it without question.

1. I regret missing out on homecoming.

I’ve missed three homecomings in college because I had a 9-5 job the during the weekend. I could’ve gone to events at night, but didn’t push myself because I was just focused on work. I made money, but looking back on it, I could’ve gone to the parties at night. I regret not going to them. I needed to loosen up.

2. I regret not joining a sorority.

It wasn’t until my second semester of junior year that I even considered introducing myself to the sorority life and pushing myself to rush. But by then, before I could even start the rush process, I realized it was too late. How many girls join a sorority a year, shy from graduating? I regret not going Greek and making “sisters” for life, and rushing for a sorority my freshman year. I regret not being apart of some of the amazing organizations that many of them are.

3. I regret not studying abroad.

Traveling is best done when you’re young. I should’ve studied abroad. I should’ve immersed myself in a new culture, language, and taken up courses in a foreign country; all the while I was alongside classmates.

4. I regret limiting myself.

My personality is very out there. However, the people I somehow manage to surround myself with weren’t. I stuck to one small clique and before I knew it I realized that people I had been surrounding myself with were the wrong ones for me. We just had nothing in common. It became one of those things where you outgrow a friendship.

I regret limiting myself. I shouldn’t have clung to certain relationships and I should’ve socialized more. I should’ve tried to be friends with everyone. I should’ve introduced myself to different people.

5. …because of this I should’ve been more confident

College is the last place someone is going to judge you. No one cares who are are. If you befriend someone, at least at the college I went to, they would remember you and act as if they’ve known you forever. Everyone in college wants to make friends and if someone is at a party, chances are they’re open to socializing.

6. I should’ve partied more.

I should’ve gone to more parties. I should’ve gone to more “day-drinks” and had more college fun. I'm a stickler for responsibility so you won't see me getting arrested or jumping off a roof, but partying is the stigma around American college and the stereotype surrounding it, and I missed out. You have your whole life to work and be an adult, but four years of college, to be in college.

7. I should’ve dormed or lived off-campus with friends.

This is a college rite of passage and would’ve made me more independent and, yet again, I missed out. I commuted to my college in order to save money, and because I lived close by, but if I could’ve dormed, I should’ve. Damn, I wish I had.

8. Take advantage of the free or discounted school sponsored events.

My school always had discounted yankee game, Broadway, or Ellis Island-trips, etc. I regret not taking advantage of any these.

9. Go on mission trips.

Apart from studying abroad my school also offered mission trips to India, Peru, Zambia, and Ireland. I should’ve gone on a mission trip. I see a lot of cool videos of the trips and hear of stories of the impact these trips have had on people, and I immediately regret not pushing myself to make an impact too.

10. I regret not going on spring break.

Even if I wasn’t a crazy Cancun type of person, I regret not going on an college tour around Europe or a road trip with my friends. If you too are offered that opportunity, plan a trip now!

11. Do it on your own.

You don’t need friends to try new things, or join a new club. A lot of things and clubs I was a part of, I joined on my own. If you want to join a play, do it. If you want to run for senate, do it. If you want to, do something, anything, and don’t have a friend to do it with you, do it on your own.