11 Things You Know To Be True If You Grew Up In A Small Town

You wouldn't trade the small town experience for the world

55
Trevor Parker

If you're like me and grew up in a small town, you understand that life in that town in unlike anything else in the whole world. At times, it can be the worst thing, but at times, it can also be the best thing. Recently, when I was hanging out with my family who also grew up like I did, we got to talking about some of the things we experienced in our small towns, and though our towns weren't the same, we did have some of the same experiences. With that said, I compiled a small list of things our different towns had in common:

1. When meeting new people, you’ve had this conversation at some point or another:

“Where are you from?”

*insert your town here*

“Wait no, where are you from?”

*repeat your town*

“I have no clue what that is, where are you from?”
*name the nearest big city and try not to seem annoyed*

“Oh!! Why didn’t you just say so?”

2. Meeting new people means that you are probably at camp or something like that, though, because most people in your school you’ve known since you were in Kindergarten – no variety whatsoever.

3. Giving directions probably doesn’t make sense to people that aren’t from your town because they go a little something like this:

“Go down two lights, make a right, once you pass the pink house make a left, cross two cattle guards, make a left on the next country road, and when you see the house with the blue flowers you’re there.”

4. Whenever you meet an adult one of the first things they’ll probably ask you is, “Who do you belong to?” because there is an extremely high chance that you are related to someone in the town.

5. Sports are not just a game. They are a religion. Especially football.

6. Speaking of football, small town rivalries in football are even worse than NFL rivalries. Small town rivalries are personal and the blood runs deep. I’m looking at you, Burnet. Sting 'em, forever.

7. Everybody knows everyone and everyone knows you so if you mess up, everybody will know it in a week’s time – maybe even less. Especially your parents.

8. There is a chance that some of your teachers also taught your siblings… and your mom…and your dad…and your aunts and uncles and sometimes your grandparents, too.

And that will be the first thing they say on the first day when they see your last name on the attendance sheet. And all year you will be compared to them, no matter what you do.

9. Going to the grocery store is a hassle because that means you have to go across town 2 minutes or worse, going across the bridge. Man, what a hassle.

10. There isn’t much to do for fun, so you really learn how to use your imagination – or you end up driving to the nearest city for the day.

11. When you are exhausted and want to call in a to-go order at your favorite restaurant they will know your order by heart just from hearing your voice and may even write you a sweet little note, too. That'll perk you right up - it's just so nice!

While most people may look at growing up in a small town and seeing everybody knowing your business, perpetually living in the shadow of your older relatives, no one ever having heard of your town, and others things as a bad thing, there are some really great things about being raised in a town where everyone knows your name. So while others may not get it, you do and so does everyone else in your town - and that's all that matters.

P.S. Jacket pride never dies. Again, looking at you Burnet.