11 Things Hip-Hop Fans Should Be Excited For In 2016

Can it match 2015?

29
ThisIs50.com

2015 was a fantastic year for hip-hop fans. Between all the new music that dropped, the beefs, and the fashion, last year was one of the greatest years for music in recent memory. Future dominated with his slew of projects, new artists like Fetty Wap emerged, and we got solid albums from the hip-hop giants of Drake, Kendrick, and A$AP Rocky. But what's next for 2016? Here's what we should be excited for this year:

1. Views From the 6

After Drake announced his next album title in 2014, the hype surrounding the album has been increasing ever since. Drizzy dropped "If You're Reading This, It's Too Late" in early 2015 out of surprise and that ended up going platinum, so imagine what "Views" will do opening week. This is probably one of the most anticipated releases for this year and we're ready for Drake to deliver. He owned 2015 and he might be able to hammer down legendary status if he comes through with a fire album.

2. SWISH

Working more on his Adidas clothing line than his music in 2015, Kanye West was rather quiet. He released a banger "All Day" that swirled hype around his upcoming project ("So Help Me God" that turned "SWISH"), he took his old project "808s & Heartbreak" back on the road, and released some of the most fire kicks of 2015. But we still don't have that album. It's no doubt "SWISH" is on every hip-hop fan's wishlist, and after hearing Kanye snap on his New Year's Eve song "FACTS," Yeezy Season is definitely approaching.

3. Will the Drake vs Meek Mill beef continue?

The Drake/Meek Mill battle that ensued over the course of 2015 was one of the most interesting things to watch. Seeing the two send shots at one another on diss tracks and at concerts, the feud had all the fans taking sides. Will the beef continue though into 2016? Well, considering Meek just sent some physically jarring shots at Drizzy on a "Dreamchaser 4" snippet, who knows what could break out. Hopefully the feud continues, because it makes the game interesting. But be careful Meek, Drake still has "3Peat" in his back pocket...

4. That Frank Ocean Album

Where that album at though? God bless Frank Ocean's fans for staying with him through these tough times. Ocean's album was supposed to come out in July of 2015 and still has not touched the surface. While we think the album's called "Boy's Don't Cry," we really have no idea because there are so few details about it. Frank, we hope you drop that album this year because we've been waiting for an appropriate follow up to "Channel Orange."

5. Will Fetty Wap hit sophomore slump?

Fetty Wap had an outstanding 2015. Dominating the charts with the likes of "Trap Queen," "679," and "Again," it looked like the rapper-turned-singer couldn't be stopped. But come 2016, Fetty will be interesting to watch. It'll be interesting to see if his group of hits will lose popularity and he falls into the one hit wonder category or if he solidifies himself into the rap game.

6. New Yeezy Boosts

Kanye's Yeezy Boost collection with Adidas was one of the most fire lines of sneakers 2015 saw. Between the original hightop 750s (both grey and black), the low-top 350 (pictured above), which came in turtle dove, pirate black, moon rock, and oxford tan, and the winter book-like 950, these were some of the rarest items to cop. In 2016, look for the collab between 'Ye and Adidas to expand. Rumors of a chocolate colored 750 have been swirling and there has even been reports of a new 550 model coming to light. I'm excited to see what Kanye has in store for us.

7. So...that J. Cole/Kendrick album?

There's been rumors for years on whether these two will drop a collaboration album, but 2016 might finally be the year. After they traded remixes of each other's songs a few months ago (J Cole did Kendrick's "Alright" and Kendrick did Cole's "A Tale of 2 Citiez"), everyone stood up out of their chair, like, this could really happen. And who know's one of Cole's lyrics on that "Alright" remix is "But this February, bet s**t get scary when I f**k around and drop..." So I guess we wait until February to find out.

8. YMCMB Reunion?

The long-lasting feud between Lil Wayne and his record label Young Money and co-founder Birdman has been imminent now. Birdman has been seen stealing money from Wayne, forcing his albums to not release on time, or even at all for that matter, and has even ended in a few law suits. But could 2016, turn over a new leaf for YMCMB? Wayne and Birdman were seen together on New Year's Eve partying up with Drake in Miami, so maybe they can put aside their differences and start over. And maybe even release "Tha Carter V" while you're at it...

9. ANTI

While we have some album art for Rihanna's upcoming album "ANTI," that's about all the information we got. Rihanna has been teasing this album with a series of Samsung commercials, yet their is still no release date for the project. Rih is starting up a big world tour in February so we must have a release sometime before then. And if we see new boyfriend (not-so boyfriend) Travis Scott on the production credits, expect a fire album from Rihanna in 2016.

10. The New G.O.O.D. Music

With Pusha T being the new president of G.O.O.D. Music, it'll be interesting to see how they work as a label in 2016. Pusha T already announced last week that he's preparing a Big Sean album for an early year release, and of course his highly-anticipated "King Push" album will soon follow. We'll have to see how one of the hip-hop supergiant groups handles 2016 with their new president.

11. Who will blow up in 2016?

2015 was the year of Fetty Wap, Future, Rae Sremmurd, and others, but who will rise to fame in 2016? Some artists to look out for include "White Iverson" rapper Post Malone, Roy Wood$, a rapper cosigned by Drake, and Tory Lanez, a rapper straight from Toronto. All three have hits that can throw them right into the spotlight if the time is right. But who knows what up and coming artist will sweep the rap game by force in 2016. We'll have to wait and see...