11 Things Everyone Who Is Learning A Language Will Understand

Language is something that is hard to understand.

54
Ramos

As freshman year comes to a close, I have started to reflect on what I have learned this year being a language major. Language is something that is hard to understand. You don’t really remember learning your first language because you learned it through your childhood. When you take a language you actually have to understand the new language. It doesn’t come as naturally as it did when you were a child. Language is important to communicate with the rest of the world. Actually, it is essential. Though there are those moments that us kids who are learning a language know all too well. These 11 things about sum up what it is like learning a new language.

1. Being the immature kid you know you are and wanting to know how to say bad words

Yeah you know if you learned the language this first thing you really wanted to know was how to cuss out your friends in a different language. You wanted to know all the bad words. Also, it didn’t matter if you pronounced them right you just want to know them. Also, it seems that those are the only words that you really remember.

2. Span, Chin, Fen, Ger- English is a thing

You know it gets real when you start saying words in the language you are learning and then end up saying all the others you don’t know in English. Everyone may laugh at you but hey it's thing so go and do you Span, Chin, Fen Ger-English thing. No one will judge, well no one who is learning a new language will judge.

3. Saying the same phrase whether gramatically correct or not over and over again

There is always that one phrase that you know right off the top of your head and you just slide it into your normal vocabulary like its nothing. You just start saying it all the time. Then when someone actually responds you just stare at them blankly because why would anyone respond?

4. When you say that you are learning a language and the person asks you to say something

Why of course, person, I will magically coin a phrase for you. Something not too generic as hi but not something as extreme as a full complex sentence. Something that you will look and say ah that is cool. Yeah, you're welcome I said something that you will never remember.

5. When you speak in English but in your mind, you are thinking what it will translate to in the language you are learning

This happens whether you are cleaning your room or when you are at a restaurant. Also, it could happen when you are in normal conversation with someone. The awkward part is when you accidentally say it out loud and no one understands it.

6. You break down and cry because you are finally learning more than saying hi

We all had the moment when you finally realize that this is really hard. The grammar is hard. Also, the new rules that are popping up are actually making no sense. The best is when for some reason words and structures that you took so long learn can now be dropped and are no longer needed

7. When you learn useless vocab like mathematics or other countries names before learning actual conversational speech

The author of my textbook, how in the world do expect me to have a conversation with someone in another language if the vocab I am learning is pointless and not conversational speech? Why am I learning the names of other countries or school subjects when I actually need to be learning how to set up a date with a friend or even some hot foreign guy? Come on a girl has to know how to impress them in their own language. Unless you are like me and have a boyfriend then you are back to why do I need to learn countries names?

8. Wondering why you are actually learning the new language and if you actually need it

Then you get to point when you think that learning language is not important. Who actually needs a language credit anyways? Also, when am I actually going to use the language I am learning , especially if the vocab I am learning is pointless and has words like library or train. Oh right I will need it when random people ask me to say something in the language I am learning. Honestly though, why am learning this?

9. When it finally clicks

The ah-ha moment. When the heavens open up and everything just seems to click all at once. Sometimes it is at the last minute like during the test and then you are trying to recover. Sometimes it is when you least expect it. Nonetheless the best feeling in the world is when that structures clicks in your head. Then as a by product you are constantly saying it over and over again to show off to people that you do know how to speak the language.

10. Then you learn a new structure and you are back to breaking down and asking why you are doing this to yourself

language is a vicious cycle and soon you will find yourself right back to square one. Not understanding it and wanting to cry and breakdown. You feel like the ancient people who made up the language you are learning are laughing at you because you were to naive to think that you actually understood the language. Oh silly student you are only in 102.

11. Finally when you actually decide to make it your major and you actually enjoy putting yourself through the stress everyday of your life

Then there is the point when you realize that you have made this your major and you are dedicated to learning the language no matter how many tears are shed no matter how many hours are spent lamenting on your textbook. In the end you know this will be worth it. You know that learning a new language is fun and exciting but also stressful and it just takes patience. Also nothing makes you more excited than when you speak to a foreign person who knows the language you are learning and they actually understand you. You know you are gonna make it through this.