11 "Thank You's" To My Childhood Security Blanket

Here are the reasons why I want to thank an object for being such an important part of my life.

56
Lindsey Webb

When I was a child, my parents gave me a small pillow that I have kept with me every day since. The pillow has developed an identity. His name is “Pilli.” If you refer to him as “it,” I will correct you. This pillow is special to me and I have loved him all my life. Here are 11 different reasons why I want to say “thank you” to my childhood pillow:

1. Thank you for sleeping with me every night

I almost always sleep with you, unless I get stuck sleeping somewhere unexpectedly. Sleeping without you feels wrong. What am I supposed to do with my arms?

2. Thank you for catching my tears

When I am upset, you always comfort me. When I am in my room crying about something, you are there to catch my tears. No matter what happened, at least you are there to make me feel better.

3. Thank you for keeping me company when I'm alone

Sometimes, I spend evenings by myself. Though it’s not fun to be alone, you are there with me. I don’t consider myself alone if I have my pillow.

4. Thank you for dealing with my friends

A lot of my friends like you. I’ve had old friends make fun of you (old friends for a reason) and friends who rough house with you. I would never treat you badly. I remember when some of my best friends fought over you and your pillowcase ripped. I felt so bad about that. My mom sewed you up. I was so upset.

5. Thank you for following me everywhere I go

You come with me to my friends’ houses and you came with me to college. Yes, I still sleep with my pillow and I’m 19. I will continue to take you with me everywhere I go for the rest of my life. I promise.

6. Thank you for smelling a certain way

You have a certain smell to you that makes me feel comforted. I often get weird looks from people because I put my pillow up to my face and breathe in deeply. You have a certain smell that makes me feel at peace.

7. Thank you for being the perfect size

You fit in my arms perfectly. If you were any bigger or smaller, it wouldn't be the same. You are always so snug in my grasp while I sleep.

8. Thank you for being washable

Yes, I spill food on you every once in awhile and I'm guilty of sometimes dropping you on the ground. Thank goodness I can throw you in the wash so you'll be good as new again! You've been through a lot and would be very dirty if I weren't able to put you in the washer and dryer when needed.

9. Thank you for being a constant in my life

You became a part of my life at a young age and have never left since. I have always been able to rely on you for comfort and I am not afraid that I will ever lose you. People come and go, but my Pilli will always stay.

10. Thank you for being mine

You are mine, and no one else's. Though I will sometimes allow friends to snuggle with you if they are feeling sad or sleepy, you will always be mine in the end. You are special to me and nothing can replace you.

11. Thank you for making me feel at home

No matter where I am, if I have you, I feel a little closer to home. Even in the most uncomfortable situations, you make me feel at peace. Thank you for representing home for me.

Though my pillow may just be an object, he means much more to me. My pillow has been a source of comfort from the time I was a young child. Anyone who has a similar object that acts as a “security blanket” may be able to understand the gratitude I feel for my pillow. Pilli is such a large part of my childhood and still is important in my life today.