11 Sustainable Clothing Brands You Should Support

Green is the new black.

447
Earth 911

Looking for another great cause to rally behind? Meet your new excuse to go on a shopping spree -- sustainable clothing. Sustainable clothing has been an up-and-coming trend for years and it's starting to take hold in the fashion industry. The fashion industry is actually one of the worst polluting industries in the world, second only to the oil industry.

The word "sustainable" gets thrown around a lot, but what does it actually mean? Sustainability is basically a fancier word for "eco-friendly." The goal of sustainability is to create an economic system that provides for a good quality of life for people while renewing the environment and its resources. That means that, ideally, instead of using things like natural gas, oil or plastic to create and power stuff, we would use natural, renewable resources like solar power, wind power or plants.

With the Trump administration's apparent disregard for environmental preservation, it's more important than ever to support sustainability efforts. Of course, there are many small things you can do to live a greener lifestyle. But have you ever considered making your wardrobe more sustainable? Sustainable fashion focuses on creating classic designs that will last you for years as opposed to the more unethical "fast fashion" trends that create waste and harsh working conditions. The main goals of sustainable fashion are to use organic materials, minimize waste and maintain Fair Trade standards.

Now, I know what you're thinking -- there's no way I'm going to wear plant clothes! Hemp is only for hippies! But these brands are as stylish and classic as they are eco-friendly and practical. So buy some cute clothes, stand up for a cause you believe in and save the planet!

1. Patagonia

Style: Outdoorsy

Cost: $$

Patagonia uses a variety of materials and techniques to make the most environmentally-friendly clothing possible. They pride themselves on durable, long-lasting products that can be worn for rigorous outdoor activities. If something should go wrong with an item of clothing, Patagonia will repair it for you. If it is beyond repair, they'll find a way to recycle the item.

2. Pact Apparel

Style: Cozy intimates

Cost : $

PACT specializes in cotton basics like socks, tees and underwear. They strive for sustainability in every step of their supply chain, from growing the organic cotton to sewing the final stitches. Their non-GMO clothing is super-soft and comfy.

3. Shift to Nature

Style: Casual cool

Cost: $$

Shift to Nature focuses on luxury cotton apparel for men, women and children. Their products are sourced from eco-friendly suppliers and are made with hemp, certified organic cotton, bamboo and other sustainable textiles. The company carries everything from active wear to bed linens, all with the purpose of preserving the environment.

4. Rêve En Vert

Style: Contemporary classic

Cost: $$

Reve en vert translates to "dream in green." This brand makes contemporary organic clothing, which means that their products are sourced and made with little to no use of chemicals. Reve en Vert mainly uses local brands and designers. They also upcycle materials wherever possible (reusing old materials for new clothing items).

5. Fibre Athletics

Style: Activewear

Cost : $$

Fibre Athletics is a Chicago-based company that ethically sources 100 percent organic fabrics and recycled materials. Proceeds from sales support projects that work to alleviate poverty and rebuild forests. Their versatile apparel can be worn for a workout or to go out to dinner with friends.

6. Stormie Dreams

Style: Edgy bohemian

Cost: $$

Stormie Dreamssources discarded fabrics that would have otherwise been headed to the landfill. Their zero-waste policy cuts down on pollution emissions and curbs water usage. The company keeps production local in Los Angeles to help give back to the community.

7. Madia + Matilda

Style: Simple and feminine

Cost: $$

Madia + Matilda uses natural fibers and reduces waste by upcycling their clothing. They use the fabric at the end of the roll that most brands don't use to make truly unique pieces. (Bonus: you get 10 percent off when you sign up for the mailing list!)

8. The Root Collective

Style: Timeless shoes

Cost: $$

The Root Collective believes in long-lasting quality. Their mission is to empower women in impoverished communities by paying them fair wages and ensuring a safe working environment. They specialize in shoes and accessories.

9. Bamboo Body

Style: Beachy and breezy

Cost: $$

Believe it or not, bamboo fabric is actually softer and more breathable than cotton! Bamboo plants grow quickly and release more oxygen than normal trees. Bamboo Body's clothes also have a UPF protection level of 50 against UV rays. The company is based in Australia but offers free shipping for orders over $50.

10. Raven + Lilly

Style: Classic accessories

Cost: $$$

If you're looking for a nice gift for a friend, Raven + Lilly is the place to go. The company has an eco-friendly sourcing and design process. They also employ marginalized women in countries like Kenya, India, and Haiti through fair trade practices to ensure that the women make a liveable wage and work in suitable conditions. (Bonus: you can get a 15 percent off discount by signing up for their mailing list!)

11. Wallis Evera

Style: CEO chic

Cost: $$

Need to supplement your professional wardrobe? Wallis Evera products are biodegradable and locally sourced to cut down on production and transportation waste. Even though they're a Canada-based company, Wallis Evera offers free shipping and free returns.

From Your Site Articles