11 Suggestions For The Freshman Coming To Ball State

These things should be taken into thought when coming to college.

25
bsu.edu

They say college is supposed to be the time of your life. Honestly? It’s what you make it to be. I will tell you a few things that I want you to think about when you come to college as a freshman and this is coming from someone who is now in their third year at Ball State.

1. Come to college with an open heart or mind.

You may have changed in high school, but you definitely will in college. You will continue to grow because of the environment and people you surround yourself with. I’ve noticed from my friends and I that a year ago today, we definitely would have done or said many things differently because of where we come from and our beliefs. For example, some people will come here and say they don’t drink or party, but over time, that may change. Some will not stay in college for a whole year and realize that college may not be for them right away. Honestly, that is OK. It’s all about the experiences you go through that reflect upon you, your life and future.

2. Spread your wings and go join organizations or clubs that you think will be a good fit or opportunity for you.

Branch out; because in the end, you might actually regret not being active more. I’ve had friends in sororities that will tell you it was a great decision that they made because they found a group that they feel they belong in and that they genuinely are having the time of their lives with their sisters. Now, sororities do not have to be for everyone. Ball State has hundreds of organizations ranging from club sports to volunteering opportunities. Do something you know that will have a positive impact in your life for yourself.

3. I am going to be extremely honest on something when it comes down to roommates: you do not have to be your roommate’s best friend and do everything together every single day.

The reason that I’m saying this is that I’ve heard quite a few awful stories with other people. I have had my fair share of issues too, but my point is that not everyone will like you. It may include your roommate that you have, but remember that respect is so important between you two. Communication is another factor. Some people that room together may have completely different views and judgments or opinions on the choices people make or do. Don’t think it is OK to be harsh to each other and not respect each other. That just causes stress, and you have to remember that this is someone you’re living with for a whole entire school year. You’re both adults. If you are close with your roommate, count it as a blessing, but keep in mind though that it is absolutely OK to do your own thing sometimes with other people.

4. Set high goals for yourself and only you because certain expectations from others can lead to disappointment and it gets you absolutely nowhere.

If you do things for you, it’ll pay off in the end and make you more independent. Most of all, it will make you more successful.

5. If you want to be a successful student, make time for studying.

It’s not a joke in college. I honestly winged high school, but you definitely can’t in college. Some people may have to study longer than others, even if you’re in the same class with a different professor. Each professor teaches differently and may use a different textbook. In math, my professor recommended two hours or more of studying each night for over a week until her final exam to be successful on it. It may take less than that for some people who are good at math, but definitely not for me. It depends on you and how you process your knowledge, but that literally is about right on studying time for just one class itself.

6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or get help.

If you are struggling in a class, professors usually have office hours. Take that opportunity because professors at Ball State love it when their students meet with them on their own time asking for feedback and help. It shows you genuinely care. For the get help part, I’ve seen people, including me, have their struggles in college mentally. Your mental health is so important, too. If you’re depressed or feeling out of place, do not be afraid to walk yourself to the counseling center. People come to me about how afraid they are to go there and feel like talking to someone won’t help. Honestly? You won’t know until you try.

7. Remember that there is a possibility that college may not be what you expected at all and it has been known to take a toll on people.

Some withdraw and don’t come back. Some realize the environment isn’t right for them or that it’s just too much in general. Be prepared to find yourself in college and find out what you really truly want with your life.

8. It’s OK to consider to switching majors in college and don’t be afraid to reconsider what you really want to do with your future.

I changed my major three times in one summer alone - but technically went from just deaf education to social work during the year. You would be surprised as to how many people change their majors and how many times they do. Do what’s best and right for yourself.

9. Grow as a person within yourself and those around you, but make sure you learn to be independent.

I can’t stress that enough, because you could end up being that person stuck in an unhealthy relationship depending on that person for all the wrong things. Once you’re independent, you can handle anything on your own and it’s so much better to do it that way.

10. Make wise choices throughout your college career because it will reflect upon you later.

You have to ask yourself if whatever decision you make today or tomorrow will affect you in a good or bad way for your future.

11. Be kind and most of all, be yourself.

We all come from different backgrounds and live different lives. See this life here at Ball State as a fresh start and a wonderful opportunity.