11 Stages Of Falling In Love With That Band

When you just cannot get enough.

268
Ellen Horowitz

Everyone has their own taste in music, but every person has that one band they just cannot get enough of. Maybe the musicians are attractive, perhaps the lyrics apply to you directly or you just love listening to them, but they are, for sure, your jam. Maybe now, after years of listening to them, you feel embarrassment. Perhaps irrational pride? I have created for you a list of the stages we all go through with falling in love with that band.

1. Introduction

This is when you first meet the band. You might have nodded your head to music, liked it on Pandora, or whatever. Probably someone you enjoy spending time with showed you it, so you save it. This is only the beginning.

2. The Savior Shuffle

You probably forgot about the song until you heard it on the radio or on your shuffle. This time, you really are starting to pay attention to the music, the lyrics, and everything. Maybe you have already started to memorize the music, and you save it as a favorite.

3. Lyric Master

Now you have heard the song a bunch of times, and the lyrics are stuck in your head during every part of the day. When you hear it on the radio, now you can’t help but belt out those lyrics, even if there are other people in the car. Sorry not sorry.

4. Information Interest

Okay, you like this song enough to look it up. Perhaps a Facebook newsfeed article dragged you in, but now you must know more. Where did they come from? How long have they been around? What else have they made? This leads you into...

5. The Fanatic Fan

You know everything about these people. The lead singer is lactose intolerant and broke his wrist when he was five. The drummer doesn’t like the color red. Everything about them that you could know, you know. You are so enthused. You join online clubs celebrating them. The people in these clubs tolerate your excitement, but really you are being annoying. Just relax and enjoy the music.

6. The Old Cynic

Yeah, you have been in this club for a while now. Nothing about this band surprises you, unless they are people who like to drop albums out of the sky with no warning. The newbies are seriously getting on your nerves, but you and the other cynics enjoy making fun of their naivety. Frankly, you aren’t really nice at this stage, and the pretentiousness should go down a bit more with time.

7. The Drifter

The club got too much for you, and so did the fanatics. It’s easy to see why a lot of your friends at first left such a toxic and ever changing environment. You delete your fan blog on Tumblr, get out of the huge group chat, and start to admire the rest of your music on your playlists you have been avoiding. Congratulations, you are growing up.

8. The Embarrassment

Wait, what do you mean you think that band was OK? You were totally president of the fan club just a month ago. Oh, I see, you are embarrassed by how infatuated with the band you were! Now to say that the love for them isn’t the same, but showing that love for the band is a big no for you now. (Traitor.)

9. The Unforgotten

This band is no longer played on the radio for any number of reasons, and the fan club burned up in flames months ago. You wouldn’t skip them on your shuffled playlist, but they are not the only band anymore. Maybe you have found a new band to fall in love with, but this one will still always be special in your heart.

10. The Golden Oldie

Wait, what did they just say on the radio? “Throwback Thursday”? Why in the world is your band playing on that station. Is it true, has it become truly older music? See if you like any of the modern music on the radio, if none of the other bands compare in style or voice, seems like your band has gone out of fashion completely. You will still sing the lyrics with the windows rolled down, but wow do you feel old.

11. Proud Parent

This band was your baby, and now it has finally moved on. Maybe they have changed their style, broken up, or any number of things, but you now feel like both you and the band have gone through a lot. At least one of their songs reminds you of a breakup, you actually buy their music instead of illegally downloaded it, and you will never be embarrassed to say they are your favorite band again.

Here is the beautiful thing: you can have multiple favorite bands over time, and they will always be the songs in your heart at the best and worst of times. Don't throw away the discs during your Embarrassment phase, trust me, you will want them later.