We may study history but we do know how to party like it's 1776.
Subscribe to our
Summer vacation in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
With spring coming to an end, the excitement for summer is building. It is that time of year when the sun is shining bright and everybody is in a good mood.The warm weather creates positive attitudes for everyone. It is personally my favorite time of the year, and that is why I am choosing to write about it.
Growing up in Minnesota, summer was never a dull moment. The best memories I have from my childhood would consist of spending those 90-degree days on the lake, whether it was some random weekend or when we celebrated Fourth of July for a week long. I was fortunate enough to have a cabin, which is where I spent most of my summer. Summer in "The Land of 10,000 Lakes" is, in my opinion, the best area you can spend your time.
Whether it is on the lake, or a river, fishing in the summertime is fantastic. (It is still great in the winter too!) When I think of summer, the first thing that comes to mind would be sitting in a boat with a fishing pole in my hand soaking up the hot sun. If you grew up in Minnesota, there is a very high probability that you have gone fishing at some point in your life. It is the ideal summer activity because even when you're not catching fish it is still a great thing to do for the summer.
I am not sure if it's just me, but my family would tend to make Fourth of July a week long holiday. Now, I never complained about this because I looked forward to it for months. But, there is only one place to celebrate and it was at the cabin. Days up here consisted of fishing and every water activity you could possibly imagine. You have the smell of burgers and brats cooking all day that were ready upon request. Also you make unforgettable memories that are shared with your family and friends. On top of this you have not one, not two, but several firework shows all across the lake. The more I think about it maybe we should make Fourth of July a two-week celebration.
After all the exciting moments over summer, you save the best for last. The great Minnesota get-together ties the whole summer together. I could not imagine a better way to end summer than the Minnesota State Fair. A two-week-long celebration filled with music, carnivals, greasy foods and so much more. It's a time when the whole state comes together just to remind ourselves how great of a state we really are. It's so fun that one time around isn't enough. People go multiple times. The Minnesota State Fair is one of the best times of the year and the perfect end to your summer vacation.
Minnesota is the best place to grow up and enjoy your summer months. Whether it is out on the lake, at the cabin or finishing summer off at the state fair, there is no place I would rather be. I am thankful for all the great memories of summer in Minnesota and I look forward to many more.
The Resemblance is Uncanny, Isn't It?
1. If you and your best friend were lucky, chances are you were not even on each other's radar when you first met. More likely, things started off a bit rocky.
Until you realized that this person really was not so bad.
And was maybe even a little bit quirky, just like you.
2. You started to do the basic things together, making sure you were always the better half.
3. There came a point when you became each other's go to for going out, whatever fantastic and embarrassing videos may have come of it.
4. Eventually you realized that maybe this crazy cat is actually your better half.
5. To your disbelief, you started to think about other people besides yourself.
6. In spite of your best efforts, there comes a time to say goodbye.
I am not going anywhere without you!
7. But it is all worth it, so that you can finally reunite.
8. At which point, you go back to doing whatever it is you do.
9. Because through the years, you might get older, but you won't change -- whether that's for better...
10. ... or for worse.
For full videos and more pictures:
No matter how badly you were burned by someone else's flames.
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your father in heaven." - Matthew 5:43-45
I've always considered myself somewhat a vengeful person. I am not proud of that. Wanting revenge is not a good thing. And it certainly is not a Christian way to live. But I am self-aware, and I have realized that I struggle with this. If someone hurts me, I want to hurt them back. I know, I know, this sounds so bad. But I know I am not the only one that struggles with this mindset. It's a self defense mechanism. It hurts to get hurt. It hurts to have someone say or do something that digs deep. It really hurts. Ghandi said, "And eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." If we keep fighting fire with fire, we are all going to end up in flames.
We also unfortunately live in a culture that sometimes supports the idea of getting even and getting revenge. Songs like Taylor Swift's "Better Than Revenge" may be catchy but they are giving us distorted views. It can be easy to get caught up in a "give someone a taste of their own medicine" mindset, but again, is that really the way we want to live?
"When you are angry, be silent."
I have realized that fighting fire with fire is an exhausting and pointless game. People are going to hurt you, whether intentional or not, someone is going to do something that rubs your the wrong way. It's so easy and dare I say a natural instinct to want to get revenge upon being hurt. We want to protect ourselves. But is being vengeful really the way to do that? Do you really, and I mean really believe that you will feel better about a situation once you hurt someone else?
I encourage you, put down your flame, put down your weapon, whether it be your harsh words or plan for revenge, I encourage you, put it down. No more fire with fire. No more hate.
Sit in silence for a few moments. Breathe in. Breathe out. You are more. You do not need to fight fire with fire. No matter how badly you were burned by flames from someone else.
"The most merciful person is the one who forgives when he is able to take revenge."
Here's to never growing up.
If you were anything like me, you came home from school, plopped on the couch and jammed to Radio Disney. You've heard these songs at school dances, parties and on the radio, and you probably still know all the words. Despite most of your favorite childhood artists pursuing different careers (or different styles of music), these throwback hits will always be there to comfort you!
1. "SexyBack" - Justin Timberlake
2. "Oops!... I Did It Again" - Britney Spears
3. "Party in the USA" - Miley Cyrus
4. "Replay" - Iyaz
5. "Dynamite" - Taio Cruz
6. "Girlfriend" - Avril Lavigne
7. "Beautiful Girls" - Sean Kingston
8. "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO
9. "Stereo Hearts" - Gym Class Heros ft. Adam Levine
10. "Titanium" - David Guetta ft. Sia
11. "Classic" - MKTO
12. "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen
13. "California Gurls" - Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg
14. "Down" - Jay Sean ft. Lil Wayne
15. "Teenage Dream" - Katy Perry
16. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" - Beyonce
17. "I Gotta Feeling" - Black Eyed Peas
18. "Umbrella" - Rihanna ft. Jay Z
19. "Fergalicious" - Fergie
20. "Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5
21. "Drive By" - Train
22. "Hoedown Throwdown" - Miley Cyrus
23. "Want U Back" - Cher Lloyd
24. "Love You Like A Love Song" - Selena Gomez & The Scene
25. "Bad Romance" - Lady Gaga
26. "TTYLXOX" - Bella Thorne
27. "Firework" - Katy Perry
28. "Low" - Flo Rida ft. T-Pain
29. "Halo" - Beyonce
30. "Tik Tok" - Ke$ha
31. "Animal" - Neon Trees
32. "Mr. Brightside" - The Killers
33. "We Are Young" - fun. ft. Janelle Monáe
34. "Airplanes" - B.o.B ft. Hayley Williams
35. "Hollaback Girl" - Gwen Stefani
36. "Payphone" - Maroon 5 ft. Ludacris
37. "Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People
38. "Hey, Soul Sister" - Train
39. "Ain't it Fun" - Paramore
40. "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love" - Usher ft. Pitbull
41. "Boyfriend" - Justin Bieber
42. "We R Who We R" - Ke$ha
43. "Forget You" - CeeLo Green
44. "Starships" - Nicki Minaj
45. "Say My Name" - Destiny's Child
46. "Baby One More Time" - Britney Spears
47. "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean
48. "Hey Ya!" - Outkast
49. "Bye Bye Bye" - *NSYNC
50. "Poker Face" - Lady Gaga
51. "Last Friday Night (TGIF)" - Katy Perry
52. "Bring Me To Life" - Evanescence
53. "Teenage Dirtbag" - Wheatus
54. "You Belong With Me" - Taylor Swift
55. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
56. "Thnks fr th Mmrs" - Fall Out Boy
57. "Empire State of Mind" - Jay Z ft. Alicia Keys
58. "Crazy in Love" - Beyonce & Jay Z
59. "Mine" - Taylor Swift
60. "Toxic" - Britney Spears
61. "Since U Been Gone" - Kelly Clarkson
62. "Milkshake" - Kelis
63. "Part of Me" - Katy Perry
64. "Yeah!" - Usher, Lil Jon and Ludacris
65. "Wannabe" - Spice Girls
66. "Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey
67. "Stayin' Alive" - Bees Gees
68. "Survivor" - Destiny's Child
69. "Beautiful Soul" - Jesse McCartney
70. "Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera
71. "Just Dance" - Lady Gaga ft. Colby O'Donis
72. "Break Your Heart" - Taio Cruz ft. Ludacris
73. "Just The Way You Are" - Bruno Mars
74. "The Climb" - Miley Cyrus
75. "Price Tag" - Jessie J ft. B.o.B
76. "You Make Me Feel..." - Cobra Starship ft. Sabi
77. "Don't Stop the Music" - Rihanna
78. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A
79. "In Da Club" - 50 Cent
80. "Get the Party Started" - P!nk
81. "That's Not My Name" - The Ting Tings
82. "Hot N Cold" - Katy Perry
83. "Umbrella" - Rihanna ft. Jay Z
84. "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" - Soulja Boy
85. "So What" - P!nk
86. "Hit 'Em Up Style" - Blu Cantrell ft. Foxy Brown
87. "Bootylicious" - Destiny's Child
88. "Baby" - Justin Bieber ft. Ludacris
89. "On The Floor" - Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull
90. "The One That Got Away" - Katy Perry
91. "All Star" - Smash Mouth
92. "Jenny from the Block" - Jennifer Lopez
93. "Superbass" - Nicki Minaj
94. "Tonight Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae
95. "Only Girl (In The World)" - Rihanna
96. "Like a G6" - Far East Movement ft. The Cataracs & DEV
97. "What Makes You Beautiful" - One Direction
98. "We Found Love" - Rihanna
99. "Mr. Saxobeat" - Alexandra Stan
100. "Here's To Never Growing Up" - Avril Lavigne
Did I miss any of your favorites? Comment below!
The Horse: A Kind and Gentle Animal
Usually pinned back in a sign of aggression. Used by the horse to ignore the rider’s commands and pleas for mercy.
2. Mouth (see: Teeth)
 Contains the sharp dental appendages which are used to deter the rider from placing a bit in the horse’s mouth;  used to transfer grass from the ground to the rider’s clean riding breeches and white pressed button down immediately before the start of an exhibition, always unfailingly;  the main reason people claim to dislike horses.
3. Teeth (see: Bit)
 Sharp dental appendages which are often shown to a passing human by surprise using a strong and forceful bite to the shoulder, back, or arm;  to be held tightly closed as soon as the rider attempts to place a bit in the horse’s mouth, especially in times of urgency (i.e. before the start of an exhibition);  used to chew fences and stall doors, decorative structures built solely for horses to chew on.
 Used to falsely display innocence to little girls in love with ponies and their parents’ ability to buy ponies  used to scan the surrounding area for objects the horse fears, which are one of two things: things that move, and things that don't move.
5. Mane (see: Tail)
When $125 is paid to a groom to braid this, it is immediately rubbed against the nearest wall or post to undo said braids.
 Used to (sometimes) propel the rider over colorful sticks raised above the ground;  Used to plow through colorful sticks raised above the ground instead of jumping over them;  used to strike at anything which enters a five foot vicinity.
 Used to stop directly in front of a colorful raised stick after approaching at a full canter, often dismounting the rider (to the horse’s great dismay);  used to flatten a rider’s polished leather riding boots which “I can't believe I’m spending this much money on” (Mom, every time she buys riding boots);  used to stamp down onto whatever feet are in closest range  what the rider sees first when the horse makes the executive decision to end a ride.
8. Stomach (also: Underside of Barrel)
What the rider sees first when the horse makes the executive decision to end a ride.
A device covered in long fine hairs used to  strike at flies  strike at a rider trying to tack  strike at nothing.
10. Nose (Nostrils)
Used to transfer nasal contents from the nasal cavity onto a rider’s clean riding breeches and white pressed button down by means of snorting immediately before the start of an exhibition.
The reason why riders seldom ride and/or jump bareback.
The location that the rider holds to stay on the horse.
The Horse: A Kind and Gentle Animal's Tack
1. Saddle (see: Girth)
A small slippery leather chair strapped onto a moving creature’s back with a thin length of cloth.
2. Girth (see: Saddle)
A thin length of leather or cloth, [sometimes] holds a saddle onto a moving creature’s back.
Thin pieces of leather which are often ignored.
Short posts of iron which are often ignored.
Short stick/bat which is often ignored.
Leather headgear for horses.
Metal steering mechanism placed in horse’s mouth, usually met by clenched teeth to refuse the bit.
8. Horse (see: All)
 The animal that tests, hurts, and angers, making me ask myself why I participate in such a sport  the source of my greatest pains and frustrations;  the thing that I love the most.
1. Brittany Morgan,National Writer's Society
2. Radhi,SUNY Stony Brook
3. Kristen Haddox, Penn State University
4. Jennifer Kustanovich, SUNY Stony Brook
5. Clare Regelbrugge, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign