11 Signs You Studied Abroad In Europe

11 Signs You Studied Abroad In Europe

How long until I can go back?!

117
11 Signs You Studied Abroad In Europe
Amy Clapp

1. You've made friends who all speak a different language

Europe's size makes it so easy to travel around to different countries just for a weekend. Inevitably, you'll meet people on every trip you take, and unlike America, every single person will most likely speak a different language- German, French, Italian, the list goes on. It can seem a little crazy to find out how much you have in common with someone who doesn't even speak your language.

2. You're used to not understanding anything

Along the lines of language, if you studied abroad in Europe, you are accustomed to not understanding anything. You had to try to maneuver metros in French, book tours in Italian, and negotiate in German. Luckily, English will take you a long way, but ultimately, studying in Europe is 4 months of confusion.

3. You've been to the place on the postcard

You've seen places like the Eiffel Tower and Sagrada Familia a thousand times when you were a kid. They're on postcards, in movies, and in books. Finally, you can say you've been there, and if you've studied abroad, you will know that the postcard places are not even the coolest parts of the city!

4. Driving makes you cringe

I was SO excited to start driving when I got back to the States. After 15 minutes, I was fed up and wishing for that metro again.

5. You miss fresh bread

I miss the bread sold through the little windows of stores on the street. The closest thing we have in the States is a loaf in a bag that's supposed to last you a week. The comparison is not even close...

6. You yearn for a café

If you don't feel up to making yourself some tea or if you just want a peaceful study spot, a café is always the answer. However, here at home, the closest cafe is 15 minutes away by car (on a good day). Starbucks is not quite the same.

7. You've seen some of the greatest art in the world

The Louvre and the Uffizi are just a few of the greatest museums in the world, and if you studied abroad in Europe, you're lucky enough to have seen art by the likes of Da Vinci and Michelangelo on a daily basis. The closest thing in the States is the MoMA in New York, but that's not a cheap RyanAir flight away.

8. You're a little too familiar with RyanAir

Speaking of RyanAir, you probably know this airline all too well. I know by the end of my four months, I knew the safety instructions by heart and i knew EXACTLY what I could bring to fit the carry-on size requirements. After a RyanAir flight every weekend, I was shocked to be reminded that other airlines give you snacks and leg room.

9. Traveling is no big deal anymore

For someone who is afraid of flying, I flew a lot. After a few months, you get so used to it that traveling doesn't really scare you anymore. You know the processes and procedures from the entrance of the airport until you lift off. Being confident while traveling makes life so much easier!

10. You annoyed all of your friends on social media

...but how could you not post a Facebook status, Instagram picture, and Snapchat story when you were in a different country each weekend?

11. You're dying to go back

No matter how excited you were to come home at the end of your journey, after 2 days at home, you were ready to go back. You miss the freedom, the adventure, and the challenge. Sitting on the couch and binge-watching Chicage Fire doesn't really have the same thrill.